Respected Contributor

Just my experience... May not be everyones - Straightening vs Curling Hair

My hair blow drys pretty straight so really if I am going to straighten it, I use lowere heat setting (about 260ish) and I always use Heat Protection while blowing dry and curling or straightening.

I normally just put some curls in and call it good cause really I dont' like how I look with straight hair but recently just for a change I've been doing it straight more.

Well, I normally go in for a trim every 6-8 months (I don't color yet..... so I don't need to go in more than that)

Well, it's only been 3 months and my ends already look pretty bad, not awful but not like they usually look, even when I curl my hair EVERY DAY at 8 months I still don't have fried ends or split ends, I am very gentle with it and use low heat.

The moral to my story (lol) Straightening even at a lower head does far more damage to my hair than curling does, I think I will stick to my curling.

Just wanted to share MY experience and experiment.  Have a good Sunday everyone

Honored Contributor

Re: Just my experience... May not be everyones - Straightening vs Curling Hair

@SandGirl, It sounds like you are doing all the right things.  Maybe the night before you wash your hair you treat your ends to argan oil and see if that helps.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1  I normally use WEN oils on my scalp and hair up to 4 nights a week, I wash my hair daily as I workout at night and just can't get away with 2nd day hair but if I am just hanging at home and off from work I always give my hair a "day off"  Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

For me, it was the flat iron that made the difference in damage.  Once I switched from my old flat iron to my Sedu, my hair damage was drastically reduced!

Esteemed Contributor

I usually wear my hair curly, and sometimes wear a wig. Reason being is for my kind of kinky curls heat styling requires a blow out, flat iron, and then a curling iron to put some life back into the style.  These tools have to be used on a pretty high heat to be effective on kinky curls -- even at the salon.  Since switching to a hot air brush my styling is reduced to one hot tool, and my hair is thanking me for cutting out those extra hot tools.  

I own a Conair, but a friend used the Calista version on me and the result was impressive.