Honored Contributor

Just bought a makeup sponge blender -- how do you use it????

I have always just applied my foundation or concealer with my fingers but the other day I was thinking --- hmmm -- I need something to get to the little areas around my nose, etc.  to get a better coverage with my concealer.  I wonder if one of those little pointy makeup sponge things would work???

I purchased an inexpensive one at Marshall's to try.  It is rather a cone shape with a pointed end.  It says you can use dry or dampen it.  

I wanted to use it to apply my concealer but had no idea how to do it.  I used the sponge dry.  I applied some concealer  (I used a stick concealer) to my skin and then just used the tip of the sponge to smooth it around.  For the most part, it did a decent job.

How do you use your sponge?  Wet, dry?  Also, when applying makeup or concealer, what do you do --- dip the sponge in the product or what? 

As you can tell, I have no clue!!

Thanks so much!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Just bought a makeup sponge blender -- how do you use it????

[ Edited ]

I like to use dry sponges. I use my mini-beautyblender sponge for applying my IT Bye-Bye Undereye. First I dot it on undereye with my finger. Then take pointed end of sponge to lightly sweep and press it across the area of concern.  Take the rounded end of the sponge and dip it into setting powder and dap it over the concealed area. 

Since I use a powder foundation (mineral), I also use a dry, full-size beautybender sponge and dip directly into product then dap onto skin. 

I prefer to apply powder blush with a regular blush brush (elf angled).

I wash my sponges weekly with Dawn. Rinse well. Press the cleaned, wet sponges between towels to hasten dry time.Woman Happy HTH.

download.jpg

Honored Contributor

The Beauty Blender (or knock offs) are supposed to be used damp but can be used dry- doesn't work for me when dry, however.

To use: Take sponge under water (cold or warm, doesn't matter) and squish squish squish till it's fully saturated. It should double in size (if it does NOT, it is NOT a Beauty Blender knock off and is simply a cone shaped latex sponge- more on that in a moment). Once double in size, SQUEEZE all the water out, and the squeeze inside a towel. It should be large and damp with NO water coming from it. It will hold this shape for a few hours (until it dries up).

Place your foundation on the back of your hand, a pan or something flat. Dip the BB into it and then bounce it all over your face. Keep bouncing lightly to blend. That's it.

IF it's a cone shaped sponge, use it as you would any traditional makeup sponge to apply and then rub/blend all over your face. You can run it under the water and then squeeze it in a towel but spritzing it with water and then squeezing is usually what MA's do.

HTH : )

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam,

Do you use liquid foundation? I think a wet sponge would work better with the liquids, too. I wear powder mineral foundation and the dry sponges seems to work best for me. Once tried a wet sponge with my powder and it did not turn out so good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  I use liquid, cream and powder (both pressed and loose..mineral and non mineral).

Damp BB is great for liquid and cream. I use a latex sponge for  pressed powder foundation for fuller coverage and a traditional powder puff for sheerer or to use pressed powder foundation over a liquid or cream to set (so it won't transfer).

For mineral foundation (be it pressed or loose) I use a kabuki brush. I know a few who use a damp BB AFTER application of powder to set it by bouncing all over the face (akin to spraying with a makeup spray ie Urban Decay All Nighter or MAC's).

Of course, YMMV and that's the thing about makeup and application: we do what works best for us.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SahmIam,

Do you use liquid foundation? I think a wet sponge would work better with the liquids, too. I wear powder mineral foundation and the dry sponges seems to work best for me. Once tried a wet sponge with my powder and it did not turn out so good.

Nope, that would be a cakey mess! I do use it for my setting powder, but do that at the end and the sponge is dry enough for that. I wouldn't use it damp for powder foundation, though.

I use the Real Techniques sponge. It's as good as the Beauty Blender, but I can get two for the price of one Beauty Blender. I also like that the egg shaped sponge has a flat angle cut on one side of the bottom.

For liquid or creams, I use it damp. I use the rounded bottom for my foundation. For concealer, I use the edge of the flat part to get close to my eye, then blend with the top part, which is smaller. Once that's finished. If I'm using a liquid or cream highlight, I use the same part I used on my foundation to blend in my highlight. By the time I'm finished with all that, the sponge has dried enough that the flat side works really well to apply my pressed setting powder. 

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue,

I've been wanting to try one of those Real Tech sponges. I've read many good comments here on this forum about them. Thanks for your rec for them.Woman Happy Where would be the best place to buy them?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ChynnaBlue,

I've been wanting to try one of those Real Tech sponges. I've read many good comments here on this forum about them. Thanks for your rec for them.Woman Happy Where would be the best place to buy them?

Whatever place is the most convenient for you. They're available at Ulta, Target, Walmart, and some Walgreens stores. Amazon also carries them, but they tend to charge more than other places.

Respected Contributor

I have the Beauty blender and I have the Real Technique sponge also. I like them both but for different reason. I like them because they are different in shape and I like to use the flat part on the Real Tech sponge with my setting powder for my under eye, and I do this with it damp. This is my fave way to apply my liquid foundations and I like to use a brush for my powder foundations. The RT sponge is far cheaper than the Beauty Blender. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1

If you're applying dry powder, the sponge should be dry.  

If you're applying wet foundation, the sponge should be damp and squeezed out.  This dampness will prevent the sponge from absorbing the liquid foundation.

Having said that .......   I think sponges are best when applying makeup to someone else, not yourself.   If you're applying your own makeup, use your fingers.   They get into all the spots, clean easily and never need to be replaced.   You just can't beat the versatility of your own fingers.   lol   Woman LOL