Honored Contributor

Josie Maran Whipped Body Butter - Toasted Brown Sugar

I was scraping the bottom of my unscented JM body butter so when I saw the big daddy size for sale last week, I decided to buy another.  This time instead of unscented, I decided I would give the toasted brown sugar a whirl.  I was thinking it might smell warm, almost like warm vanilla sugar.  Wow was I mistaken.  What it smells like is syrup but 10 times more intense.  And the smell does not lessen once on.      

I tried it on my arm thinking maybe it would change a little but it was just bad.  DH asked what "that funky smell was" when I was next to him.  Disgusting.  I'll stick with the unscented for sure.   

Super Contributor

Re: Josie Maran Whipped Body Butter - Toasted Brown Sugar

Glad you described that scent. I was watching the presentation and wondering if I really wanted to have an aura of caramel surronding me.   I think not.

Honored Contributor

Some of Josie's scents are strong and some are subtle. I have the Toasted Brown Sugar and I like it, but I only put it on at home. It's a novelty fragrance, for sure.

You might want to exchange it for the Vanilla Bean. Vanilla Bean is a beautiful true vanilla that doesn't smell like a cookie. It's a delicate scent that fades pretty quickly, so it won't interfere with any fragrance you want to wear. The vanilla pear is really popular and many people love it, but I find it cloying and think it smells like a pastry. Everyone likes different things.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, you might like Vanilla Bean. I personally thought it was too faint a scent and to me it smelled like Cool Whip. I love the Vanilla Pear but it's one of the stronger ones, to me it smells more like a caramel apple. The Peppermint Bark isn't offensive, you might try that one if you exchange. It's kind of like a butter mint scent, not too strong. 

Respected Contributor

Agree! Her Toasted Brown Sugar is way too strong for me -like I am self conscious wearing it too strong. Lol. I only use it as hand lotion now, as an all over body lotion is just too much.
Valued Contributor

It was too strong for me. I like Vanilla Bean and the rest.

Honored Contributor

I honestly didn't think I was sensitive to scents but I cannot stand this.  I took the shirt off that I had on when I put this just on my arms, and hung the shirt in the closet.  This morning, I grabbed a shirt that was hanging next to it, put it on and could smell that scent.  It permeated into this shirt off the shirt I was wearing at the time.  I had to toss both the shirt I intended on wearing today and the one I had on that night down the clothes chute to be washed.

I'm just going to go with the unscented again and maybe eventually I'll be able to smell the others and see what I think. 

Super Contributor

I ordered it last night.  Now that I read the reviews I am wondering if I made a mistake.  I always use one of my body butters after a shower at night and now I don't want to smell like a pancake with syrup... should be interesting when the item arrives.

Honored Contributor

@Hondagirl wrote:

I ordered it last night.  Now that I read the reviews I am wondering if I made a mistake.  I always use one of my body butters after a shower at night and now I don't want to smell like a pancake with syrup... should be interesting when the item arrives.

You may love it.  Other people do.  Scent is very individual.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My Toasted Brown Sugar arrived yesterday. After reading the bad reviews I was afraid that I would be sorry that I ordered it. Well I am sorry. I am not returning it. It is not the worst that I have ever smelled but definitely will not order again. I applied last night before bed and could still smell this mornng. It sort of has a burnt smell. Oh yum I know! I will do my best to use it up but definitely not my favorite Josie scent. Just sucha hassle to return it that's why I am keeping it.