Occasional Contributor

Re: It cosmetics just sold to L'oreal

I'm happy for Jamie but there goes the brand. It will not be the same. Look at Philosophy who was sold to Coty. The skincare is all over the place; seriously how many products do you need for wrinkles in one collection? Same thing with BE who was sold to Shiseido. Leslie no longer appears. She made it special and was very passionate about the products. Now the brand became more like a department store brand. Big companies buying these special brands cheapens them in many ways. We won't be seeing much of Jamie anymore. . L'oreal's quality in eye shadows,blush and foundation is cheap. Only good thing is their mascaras.  I hope this does not happen to IT.

Respected Contributor

I saw this earlier today on FB.  It's getting to where this kind of news is so routine.  These companies buy and sell each other so often now I can't keep up.  As long as the product remains a good quality, I'm fine with it.  To be honest, I only use a couple of items from this line.  I like Laura Geller better. 

Valued Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

Good for Jamie. She deserves it, she worked hard.

Bad for us, her customers.

I have come to love the IT line. Eventually I will come to an end where I won't purchase anymore, just like Philosophy. Sad.

You won't be alone!

Esteemed Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I saw this earlier today on FB.  It's getting to where this kind of news is so routine.  These companies buy and sell each other so often now I can't keep up.  As long as the product remains a good quality, I'm fine with it.  To be honest, I only use a couple of items from this line.  I like Laura Geller better. 

I agree with you MomCat, but Laura Geller is not a small independent label anymore.  She sold out earlier this year to a corporate partner.  Her new owners also own DevaCurl and Nest among other brands.  

I really don't think L'Oreal will ruin IT.  They've done just fine with Lancome, and it was under their leasership that Urban Decay became a powerhouse in the cosmetic industry.  The list of brands owned by L'Oreal at the prestige level and in drugstores is long and impressive.   Unfortunately, it's simply a reality of the times that an independent can gain attention and reputation, but in order to retain space on store shelves and in their warehouses (which cost big bucks), advertising, and development of new product to keep up with the competition, it's inevitable that a big corporate group must take over to finance the operation, and grease the retail palms (so to speak).  

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
Anyone who says they wouldn't sell for that much cash because of loyalty is lying. I have a few things I like. I like both cc creams and the by by pores powder. I hope formulas don't change.

@ccassaday  the formulas always change in a buy out....LLoreal will want to re formulate to cut out expensive ingredients and make products the way they want them. It happens in every buy  out. It is never a good thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whew, it would be hard to turn down that kind of money, but it's disappointing to again realize that everyone has their price.  IT sounds like Jamie sold out.  If you are a "cruelty free only" skincare and makeup user, I fail to see how IT will remain that way when owned by L'oreal.  And even if you can convince yourself that it will, your money is still traveling up the food chain.  

New Contributor

loreal sells in china so money from purchasing It Cosmetics now goes to fund animal testing. Jamie sold out but i won't, i'm out.

Frequent Contributor

So disappointed.  Will be canceling my auto-deliveries. 

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

WOW!!!! ..... good for Jamie .... I wish her to best of luck .... I used some of her products mainly the mascara's ..... for 1.2 Billion I would have sold the company also!!!! ....that is a LOT of money ... I wonder how much she will see after all is said & done?  😄

She and family will be set for a lifetime!

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear this.