Valued Contributor

Re: It cosmetics just sold to L'oreal

[ Edited ]

I haven't bought Philosphy since two Christmas' ago. Has it really changed? My BE is older so it is the same. Maybe I'll buy my first IT compact so I can get one before any changes are made.

Regular Contributor

I think what I heard Jamie say the last time I watched her on the Q was that they had "joined with" L'Oreal.  She was so happy that they could help women all over the world achieve beautiful skin.  Is "joining with" and "sold"mean the same thing?

Honored Contributor

@vandyfan wrote:

I think what I heard Jamie say the last time I watched her on the Q was that they had "joined with" L'Oreal.  She was so happy that they could help women all over the world achieve beautiful skin.  Is "joining with" and "sold"mean the same thing?

Who knows what semantics are involved. The facts are that she and the equity firm that owned the company sold the company to L'oreal. However they want to spin it doesn't change the facts.

Respected Contributor

I'm going to take Jamie at her word for now. Once we try the new products coming out it will be easier to tell if the quality as suffered. Who knows, couldn't they possibly even improve the line?  

I know so far IMO all the companies that were sold have suffered. Philosophy, Smashbox, Bare Minerals, etc. changed for the worse, but I have faith it can be a positive step. Feeling hopeful which is not like me - must be the heat!

Respected Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch-that statement about holding your dogs eyes open and spraying hairspray into it really hit me too. It made me sick to my stomach. But when you stop to think about it, that's exactly what animal testing companies do. I guess I was naive, and thought that most animal testing in this country had been eliminated because we are so much more "advanced" than that, and I was really surprised to find out how much animal testing is still going on. I'm trying to make the switch to cruelty free products where I can. It is a process and will take me a long time to eliminate all the products in my home, but now I'm just trying to be more aware of any future purchases I make. I'm sure I'll still buy some products that I shouldn't, because there are SO many large companies out there that do animal testing, but any bit I can do will help.

Respected Contributor

Another one bites the dust!!!

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@vandyfan wrote:

Who knows what semantics are involved. The facts are that she and the equity firm that owned the company sold the company to L'oreal. However they want to spin it doesn't change the facts.

JOINED means SOLD.   IT is a teeny tiny piece of the huge L'Oreal company.  Joined is a nice way of saying I'm selling my company at the high point when I can make a lot of money (and hopefully they won't ruin it!),  just like any smart business woman would ...   Bobbi Brown,  BE, Philosophy, etc.   These lines are NEVER he same after.  L'Oreal and EL are true to their shareholders and will squeeze out every dime they can to make them happy.  HENCE...  the downfall of each of those beautifully thought out lines that we loved.  Sad.... but,  a fact of life this century.

Trusted Contributor

@April07 wrote:

I think eveyone's problem is that L'oreal tests on animals. IT is saying they won't but any dollars spent on IT products now go to a company that does. Imagine holding your dog's eyes open and spraying hair spray in them, the dog crying in pain. That's what 1.2 billon bought.

And that is only the beginning for those poor animals - it only gets worse from there!  I will never buy IT again.  I don't believe a word from Jamie.  Money talked - this is greed plain and simple!  

Valued Contributor

1.2 billion they paid...

Jamie can laugh all the way to the bank....

Respected Contributor

Can anyone think of a cosmetic company that was made better because of a buyout? It seems when they sell out there goes the quality because the bottom line guys get in there and mess things up. I can't think of one company that was made better because of bigger. Once they sell out I am usually disappointed with the "new" product and am g o n e .