Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this Dr. P. TSV all that and a bag of chips??

No, it isn't. 

http://www.beautypedia.com/skin-care-reviews/by-brand/perricone-md-cosmeceuticals/_/Neuropeptide-Fac...

We got a kick out of this product’s claim that it “activates surface renewal of the dermis”. The dermis is not part of the skin’s surface, and there’s likely not anything in this hugely expensive moisturizer that impacts the dermis layer of skin, at least not to the extent that any permanent change will occur. Who is writing the marketing claims for this line anyway?

In many ways, this formula is an embarrassment for the company, and a pathetic waste of money for you. There is nothing in this overpriced concoction that is going to whisk away your wrinkles, sagging skin, and other signs of aging. The only thing that is going to “dramatically diminish” is your cosmetics budget.

The low amount of neuropeptides in this product is disappointing, but that really doesn’t matter because even more disappointing is that there is no research proving that topical application of neuropeptides has any benefit for skin. As noted cosmetic surgeon Dr. Arthur Perry commented, “The molecular size of these peptides is likely too large for them to penetrate skin and reach their target cells,” and that’s assuming these peptides can somehow avoid being broken down by naturally occurring enzymes in the skin.

The association between neuropeptides and skin care doesn’t have much logic behind it. Neuropeptides are composed of short-chain amino acids and are perhaps best known as being key components of the human brain (think endorphins, the feel-good chemicals our brains release after exercise or other pleasurable activities). How these neuropeptides go about firming skin and reducing sagging isn’t explained, nor is there any proof they that reduce sun damage; but that didn’t stop Perricone from claiming otherwise and hoping that consumers will take a (very expensive) leap of faith.

As with most of Perricone’s anti-aging products, this moisturizer contains dimethyl MEA. Also known as DMAE, this ingredient is controversial because research has shown conflicting results. It seems to offer an initial benefit that improves skin, but these results are short-lived and eventually give way to destruction of the substances in skin that help build healthy collagen (Sources: Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, November-December 2007, pages 711–718; and American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, volume 6, 2005, pages 39–47).

Interestingly, there is a formulation challenge when including DMAE in skin-care products. To maintain the efficacy and stability of DMAE, the product’s pH level must be at least 10. A pH of 10 is highly alkaline, which isn’t good news for skin. Moreover, because almost all moisturizers (including serums and eye creams) are formulated with a pH that closely matches that of human skin (generally 5.5–6.5, which is on the acidic side of the scale), in all likelihood the DMAE included in skin-care products cannot have any prolonged functionality (Source: Journal of Drugs in D

ermatology, Supplement 72, 2008, pages S17–S22).

Last, for what Neuropeptide Facial Conformer costs, it is downright depressing that several of the most beneficial ingredients are listed after the preservative, meaning they are barely present and, therefore, barely effective.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

I can only speak to my personal experience. Perricone products don't work for me. I'm sixty. Retin A, fillers, and Botox do work. Not inexpensive, but I could scream when I think of the $ I spent over the years on topical creams. Hth!

Super Contributor

Ok the bottom line is you will truely change your skin by using retina a  or retinol, Vit C, Moisurizer and SPF.  Paulas choice is the best line anywhere. I do very well and have tried many expensive lines but I see the most positive changes to my skin with that line( PC). I do add the conformer as I think that is the only product worth buying from Perricone dont bother with the others. I also will use argan oil from time to time. My skin is amazing for 57 most take me for 35 and this is the truth. Absolutely no wrinkles. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I at least believe that you can "change the destiny" of your skin, but there are more ways than this that do it.

Like most topical products, what you see is the benefit of emoliency ingredients in the products.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I will never give Perricone my money for any of his over priced products for what they are.  He is aiming his products at desperate women who will spend anything if they think it will make them younger.  So he charges three times what the product is worth because his name is on it. Rip Off.

Then how can you comment on the efficacy of these products?

I can't say I'm interested in your vitriol.

Super Contributor

Thank you for the link. This site is extremely informative. Love that they have if companies animal test.  

Honored Contributor

His products are probably more effective than most but whether the price of admission is worth it....I think it depends on an individualized approach. As far as Paula's Choice ...there's a real conflict of interest there. I tried a lot of her products and didn't like any of them. I think it's like asking Estée Lauder to give reviews on Revlon products.

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

I'm an Isomers girl for many years, but I can't believe I'm being tempted by this.......any users who can give me their opinions??

@HULAGIRL

Huh?    All WHAT and a bag of chips ???

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

His products are probably more effective than most but whether the price of admission is worth it....I think it depends on an individualized approach. As far as Paula's Choice ...there's a real conflict of interest there. I tried a lot of her products and didn't like any of them. I think it's like asking Estée Lauder to give reviews on Revlon products.

Totally agree, @Trinity11

IMHO, Paula lost all credibility when she started her own product line.  

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Totally agree, @Trinity11

IMHO, Paula lost all credibility when she started her own product line.  

@sassenach1 I know the common response to this is that she still favorably reviews many of her competition's products but for the most part I am a skeptic.