Trusted Contributor

Re: Is there anything that really softens cuticles?

Bag Balm

Respected Contributor

I heard that soaking your fingertips in olive oil helps, although I've never tried it.

Valued Contributor

@2blonde  Just an FYI for you.  I, too, have those tough cuticles around the top of the nail like you described.  Rather than cutting, I usually file them smooth with my nail file/emory board and then apply Tips or a moisturizer.  Just do it routinely when doing my nails and really worked well for me this winter.

Honored Contributor

CND Solar oil every night.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had great luck with T.I.P.S oil. It works great for the cuticles and the skin around the entire nail bed.

Trusted Contributor

@Rachb Often the cuticle gets confused with the eponychium. If the eponychium gets cut or damaged, it does tend to thicken a bit and/or get hard.  Leave it alone except for lots of cuticle oil and over time (several weeks) it should return to normal. If you mean the sidewall towards the free edge of the nail, I do very carefully just slightly smooth the area with a nail file if it gets too hard. Look at it as your body trying to protect itself. If you keep removing the hardened area, your body thinks it needs more protection there and the hardened are just reforms and most likely gets even harder.

Occasional Visitor

Sally Hansen Vitamin E Cuticle Oil every morning and night works for me.