Valued Contributor

Re: Irritation from the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@grammarqueen wrote:

I use the 1% BHA lotion every other day, and the 2% BHA lotion about every 2 weeks. I am in my early 60's with rosacea, and that's about as strong as my skin can take. My skin actually hurt when the vendor was encouraging people to use the Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid 2 times a day! Yipes!

I use the BHA two times a day.  I have what I see as "thick" skin.  It is oily, I have large, deep pores (not anymore actually lol) and my skin tends to be oily with clogged pores.  Paula's BHA has turned it around.  My pores are not visible under a light foundation any longer which is why I continue to use e BHA morning and night.

I think personally that the BHA might be best on normal/oily skin and AHA for dry skins.  Her AHA makes my face break out.  I'm in my late 40s with light/medium Mediterranean skin.  I do not have rosacea and no not have redness or visual capillaries which is why I consider my skin to be pretty thick and hearty.

Paula's website does state the Bha is best for oily skin and the aha is best for dry skin but I have dry skin yet cannot use the AHA products at all. Bha is also suppose to be more gentle so better for sensitive skin. I don't have any issues with breakouts or large pores that BHA addresses but I also don't have sun damage issues like AHA addresses so I just go with the more gentle BHA since both products help minimize wrinkles and exfoliate the dead cells.

I do not have thick skin and am fair with normal to sensitive skin.However, even though I have been using it 10+ years I cannot imagine using the BHA twice a day- I know that would be wayyyy too much for my skin. 

In general this is true, but BHA is recommended for rosacea, which I have, so I use the mildest formula. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grammarqueen wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@grammarqueen wrote:

I use the 1% BHA lotion every other day, and the 2% BHA lotion about every 2 weeks. I am in my early 60's with rosacea, and that's about as strong as my skin can take. My skin actually hurt when the vendor was encouraging people to use the Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid 2 times a day! Yipes!

I use the BHA two times a day.  I have what I see as "thick" skin.  It is oily, I have large, deep pores (not anymore actually lol) and my skin tends to be oily with clogged pores.  Paula's BHA has turned it around.  My pores are not visible under a light foundation any longer which is why I continue to use e BHA morning and night.

I think personally that the BHA might be best on normal/oily skin and AHA for dry skins.  Her AHA makes my face break out.  I'm in my late 40s with light/medium Mediterranean skin.  I do not have rosacea and no not have redness or visual capillaries which is why I consider my skin to be pretty thick and hearty.

Paula's website does state the Bha is best for oily skin and the aha is best for dry skin but I have dry skin yet cannot use the AHA products at all. Bha is also suppose to be more gentle so better for sensitive skin. I don't have any issues with breakouts or large pores that BHA addresses but I also don't have sun damage issues like AHA addresses so I just go with the more gentle BHA since both products help minimize wrinkles and exfoliate the dead cells.

I do not have thick skin and am fair with normal to sensitive skin.However, even though I have been using it 10+ years I cannot imagine using the BHA twice a day- I know that would be wayyyy too much for my skin. 

In general this is true, but BHA is recommended for rosacea, which I have, so I use the mildest formula. 

Yes, I did say that BHA is more gentle and better for more sensitive skin, in which I'd include rosacea sufferers in that category.. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have normal to slightly dry skin. I chose the AHA because I don't have breakouts. I might of had 10 pimples in my 44 years. And it states on the PC website that if you don't break out the AHA might be better. I use the daily smoothing treatment with 5% AHA. And every other night I use the 10% weekly AHA. It hasn't dried my skin even using retinol products from her line. But I don't have sensitive skin.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:
I have normal to slightly dry skin. I chose the AHA because I don't have breakouts. I might of had 10 pimples in my 44 years. And it states on the PC website that if you don't break out the AHA might be better. I use the daily smoothing treatment with 5% AHA. And every other night I use the 10% weekly AHA. It hasn't dried my skin even using retinol products from her line. But I don't have sensitive skin.

My skin is normal to dry and I don't have breakouts and never have (unless a product causes it and even then it has been one or two) yet the BHA works better for me since  my skin is also sensitive. AHA is too harsh and dries out my skin.

I say if someone can't use or doesn't like one or the other, try the other and see which suits them best (from any line, not just PCs). You just never know which one will work best for you and there are no real "rules"- just whichever one works best for you!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree. I was so confused on which one to get. The PTR pads have both in them. I think they both even out your skin tone pretty well. Maybe PC should make a product with both in it.