Honored Contributor

Re: If Argan oil just sits on the skin - question

If it's pure argan oil and it's not working for your skin, try it in your hair.

Super Contributor

While I love facial oils, my combination skin needs some help to enjoy them fully. Most often, I spray freshly cleansed skin with a mist to dampn it and then pat in an oil - the mist droples on the surface help absorb the oil better and act as a carrier I like to think. I also mix a facial oil with a straight up hyaluronic acis serum or solution and it definitely gets absorbed much more smoothly this way. I used to enjoy Argan but find Marula works so much better for me now.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate everyone's input!  

Honored Contributor

If your skin needs exfolliated it probably might not sink in.  I use way more than a few drops and within a minute it is absorbed and my makeup goes on smoothly.  But every product does not work for everyone.

Respected Contributor

@Julie_23  I think it's just personal preference.  I feel that argan oil just sits on my skin, too. But I have several bottles that I need to use up, so I now put a few drops into whatever lotion, body butter or moisturizer I am using, mix it, and then apply. 

I find that Tarte's maracuja oil aborbs much better and faster.

Respected Contributor

It depends on your skin type.... Whether you use a moisturizer first than Argan oil, if so just use Argan oil. If your using an spf moisturizer, skip the Argan oil & use it at night. You can use it in your hair or on dry areas of your body. I also use a Cold Pressed Rosehip Seed Oil which absorbs well and has many benefits.

Respected Contributor

sounds like you got an oil that is not a dry oil or has a lot of silicones. Shea Moisture 100% argan oil  absorbs well. I got mine at Ulta

Trusted Contributor

I always apply it to damp skin:

http://www.thedermreview.com/argan-oil/
"It is important to remember that argan oil benefits are maximized when it is applied to damp, not dry skin."  It helps it to sink in. 

I buy organic, cold-pressed at Whole Foods or any health food store I'm near. 

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Esteemed Contributor

"just sits on the skin"

I think it has to do with the viscosity or texture or molecular structure of the different oils, and how they can be or seem different from one another.

For me, different oils seem to penetrate quicker than argan oil.

But this is not to say that "just" sitting on top of the skin is a bad thing. Part of putting something on the skin is to have that layer of protection. You want to seal in your own moisture.

Different carrier oils do have different compositions, so obviously, they are going to function differently, and then for each of us individually.

Honored Contributor

@Julie_23...I had the same issue with Argon oil and my make-up looked horrible. For that reason, I stopped using it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.