Trusted Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
I think that Helen looks great!

My nan is 92 and she always says that she has to put "her" face on because the one she woke up with isn't who she really is.

I love this! I couldn't agree more!

Honored Contributor

I had to think about this for a moment.  If they didn't they she was "old" they wouldn't single her out in any way whatsoever. 

Respected Contributor

That spiel has become tiresome, as have others for other products.  How many marking pens has Ian gone through, drawing on models' legs to demo Vionic arch support?  All the body stroking with argan oil products, & so on & so on?

All this says is that I've watched too many times & need to go find something else to do until something, or someone, different, comes on.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree Jamie's spiel is patronizing and very stale.  It's the same when Graver points out how great things look on the larger models. As if it's amazing someone in a size large could look good. She practically faints when Katia comes out and then says it looks good on every body size when dark haired Maria comes out. Katia and Maria are both gorgeous women.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
Helen...."72 years young and drop dead gorgeous." Except IT cosmetics isn't helping....

@Rachb yes, to me "drop dead gorgeous" is a horrible way to describe a lovely older woman. I know Jamie means well, but she describes her in this manner every single time she models for her.

Too many catchphrases on the Q. If I hear the word "literally" one more time, I'm going to scream! Actually I laugh because it's so ridiculous, and everyone uses it. Do they even know what "literally" means??

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I do agree with the OP. As a matter of fact, I was thinking the same thing yesterday when the vendor came to Helen and said something like "She's just so adorable."

Helen is not a child. She's an older woman who does not need such condescension, even though I know it's not intended as such. But all of us have seen that kind of attitude toward older people in which they are talked down to as if they are childlike or even feeble.

Calling someone a "senior" is the same thing and is demeaning.  I always say I have graduated, I am just old.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, it's like nails on a chalk board every time I hear that. Jamie's pitch needs a serious "do over," it's the same thing every time. And "drop dead" gorgeous is not a term I'd use for anyone over 30, and "gorgeous" at 72 (I think Helen hasn't aged in 5 years!), would be reserved for classic beauties - think Sophia Loren or Elizabeth Taylor - not Helen, no disrespect. She looks every bit of 72 IMO

Valued Contributor

I fall into the 'senior citizen' age range myself and what I get sick of hearing is: "WOW! You sure don't look "your AGE".  I now respond: 'well I'm not sure that's a compliment or not -- who wrote the book of Rules on how Older Women should look according to their chronological age?"  All we humans look different as we get older.  I'd love to see that Book -- I know there isn't one for "older" Men"!  Let's get real -- we live in a Youth-Obsessed culture and I'm grateful only to my genetic material, consistent skincare and 'clean living' for my physical appearance; there oughtta be a Law!  We would benefit from aiming for a 'Healthy' appearance rather than 'Younger' but the global beauty industry reaps higher profit margins by convincing women they need to NOT age; the entertainment industry is one of the worst offenders. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I do agree with the OP. As a matter of fact, I was thinking the same thing yesterday when the vendor came to Helen and said something like "She's just so adorable."

Helen is not a child. She's an older woman who does not need such condescension, even though I know it's not intended as such. But all of us have seen that kind of attitude toward older people in which they are talked down to as if they are childlike or even feeble.

Calling someone a "senior" is the same thing and is demeaning.  I always say I have graduated, I am just old.

@Sooner, funny but that just doesn't bother me. In fact, I'll call MYSELF a "senior" if it'll get me a discount. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

You'd rather someone just call you old instead of senior?