Super Contributor

I submitted a ? to Beautypedia re: damaging ingred. in It CC spf50

Hi all.  I was wondering if the fragrant oils included in this product are damaging to ALL skin or if some skin types can tolerate them.  Her review of Puriity made simple by phil. used to say that the user may seem happy with the results, but the ingredients damaged the skin below the surface and over time, so it is poorly rated (it is now worded differently.)  I was wondering if only some skin will be irritated by these ingredients or if all of the product's happy users are really damaging the skin and just not seeing it (yet.)  If you don't have visible negative results, can you use it?  Unfortunately, I have submitted questions to her site before and never hear back.  But if I do, I will post back here.  

Another thought, if It Cosm. are so intuned to the best ingredients, why do they include them.  I have only found info. supporting the beautypedia review of the ingredients in question.  Is there research supporting the benefits?

Regular Contributor

Re: I submitted a ? to Beautypedia re: damaging ingred. in It CC spf50

I often wondered why they are included in IT Cosmetics since Jamie has roscea. I'd prefer it if they were removed as they do irritate my skin in some products.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would you mind sharing what ingredient(s) you are concerned about? I will see if I can find some of the scientific studies dealing with that ingredient if I have any.

Regarding certain fragrant oils in general, I see alot of websites where they make alot of claims as to what they do for the skin but nothing to really back those claims up. It may also have to do with how much of those ingredients are present. I know IT has a million ingredients in their products so if the fragrant oils are second to last and there are, say, 50 ingredients in all, perhaps the amount in the product is negligible and may not have any effect on the skin.

All I've usually seen is true scientific studies that have shown that damage is occuring below the the surface of the skin, usually at a cellular level. I would have to check to see if the concentration of the oils tested mattered in the studies or if they found any amount of the oils does some damage. Anyway, this damage can develop over time and can include such things as collagen breakdown, which, as we know, can cause sagging eventually. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't have sagged eventually if you avoided those types of ingredients but it could make the sagging more severe than it could have been. Genetics and health does play a part here as well. But I digress..

As in most studies, they probably indicate that most experienced the damage but, of course, there usually are a few outliers that may not have. But my question to you would be is how would YOU know that you weren't one of the ones experiencing any long-term damage unless you were being followed in a study and having doctors do periodic testing on you? So is it worth the risk to use them and hope you are one of the lucky ones or is better to err on the side of caution (and in the face of the mount of evidence) and avoid them as much as possible? Just food for though!

ETA: oh and I did want to add, that yes, damage can be occuring at a cellular level even if you don't experience any outward irritation.

Honored Contributor

So -- how many years do I have to use Purity before my skin is destroyed or is the info useless?

Asking because I've been using Purity prewtty much exclusively for at least the last six years and even though I'm a few days from 74 when our skin seems to age even faster than our hearts, I'm still not seeing anything negative.

Seriously =  has anyone with the excewption of those whose skin rejects Purity almost right away ever had a negative reaction to it?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
Spoiler
Hi

Hi HD. I am on board with everything you said.  And precicely why I have not used the product, better safe than sorry. 

"We wish IT Cosmetics had left out the irritating and phototoxic citrus oils in the formula so we could have rated this product highly, especially because from an aesthetic perspective, this is one of the more elegant CC creams we've reviewed. Sadly, the problematic ingredients (which include lemon, lime, bergamot, orange, and grapefruit) are a deal-breaker....The skin-beneficial ingredients are likely just playing catch-up in trying to undo the damage being done by the irritants." from Beautypedia site.

I agree her products may have WAY to many ingredients in general and who knowsthe effectiveness or distructiveness of ingredients in such small amounts.

eta I have no clue what that spoiler thing is or how it got there.  Not so good with this new  format, bluck!

Regular Contributor

I wonder about this too.  

I love Purity.  When I read her comments a while back about it I stopped using it and tried to find something on her 'good or best' list that worked just as well.  I cannot find anything that compares and am back to using Purity.  It's not a product that stays on your skin...it's washed off fairly quickly.  I don't know how much damage a product can do that's on your skin for literally about a minute and diluted with water.

I am bummed about the IT CC cream having citrus oils.  I love that stuff (don't like the smell as it makes me sneeze initially).  I made the decsion to use it regardless of the review because it's the best stuff that I've ever used.  It does not irritate my skin at all.

I'm curious to see if you get a reply.

Respected Contributor

The citrus oils are listed after the preservative, phenoxyethanol, which is usually used max at .75% (probably closer to .5%).  Two are listed before Disodium EDTA and two after Disodium EDTA. Disodium EDTA is a chelating agent typically used between .2 and .3%.  Chelating agents are important to use as they bind metal ions which, in turn, prolongs oil shelf lives and assists preservatives.  Sorry, I digress... Since anything below 1% does not have to be listed in usage order who really knows how much is in there.  But, geez Louise, what a crazy boatload of ingredients added for claim value only.  I'd bet that mish mosh of stuff could cause some folks a problem.  But, Jamie can stand in front of a camera and tell everyone about the load of (ineffective dosage level) "good for you" ingredients in the product.  Oh, and thank heavens, she made sure it is "free of parabens".  Urgh.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know how some skin care products are so HUGE, and yet not that good for you.  I think Philosophy is one of them.  BUT, that is JMHO and nothing else.  I myself have used and do use some products that may have ingredients that might be iritating, although with my sensitive skin I m not phased by it.  I am 68, and have smooth great skin. In the 1960's to the 2000's most skin care contained not only toxic ingredients but aging ingredients.

In holistic skin care essential oils and creams are used all the time.  Whole foods sells them.  I see the skin of many people that use them and two things are evident.  They have great skin, which might be due to a healthy, organic and pure diet. or they have great skin, and it is wrinkled a bit due to the fact they use no botox, fillers or they don't have surgery of any kind.  I have several friends of this ilk.  One slathers lavender oil and uses lemon balm on her face all the time!  Her skin is great.  If I did that I would look like a pizza with pepperoni

I think the thought is essential oils on the face can cause long term damage.  You don't see it right away it just slowly breaks the skin down.  My point is, at 68 having used damaging products in the past, I have smooth poreless skin.  I do have lines you can see with a 5X mirror, and some fine  lines on the chin and jaw line you can see with naked eye.  But isn't that normal?  Oh,  I just got one side of an 11!  Not deep, but showing up.  I squint all the time so it might show up more.

So my blabbering point is this.  By the time damage shows up from irritating products in your 60's, is it normal aging.?  I stay away from these ingredients now, for the most part.  But more women use them than do not,  considering what I see women buy in the stores over the years.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes too much available information to the masses is not a good thing.  This seems to be particularly true with cosmetics.  People start fretting over things which may or may not effect their skin at all.  Cosmetics will be a ****** shoot regardless of what is --or is not--  in the ingredients. That complex thing called the human body will react however it's individual chemical makeup is prone to do.  For some certain ingredients may be damaging; while others experience magnificent results; and then there will be those who get nothing.  

Honored Contributor

I worked in a museum for years.  I managed the museum as well as the collection.  I loved doing the women's room.  Here are some interesting products and notions.  I

From the 1920's to late 40's Mercrolium was a treasured night cream.  It had the highest % of mercury than any other brand.  Guaranteed to give you "smooth, glowing skin"!  Then there were cigarettes, guaranteed to relax the intestines, and give you more beautiful skin.  Lye soap no fad only among the Grannie Clampetts of the world.  It was a basic treatment.Young women were tutored in it to have skin that will "send you a husband"  Babies were washed with lye soap, if their mothers cared about their hygiene.

One of my favorite things was the tonics sold to clean a women's constitution!!  Therefore guaranteeing  her great skin, steady  nerves, a life free of ennui, women's malady's.  Oh, and "piles" which I think were hemorrhoids.  These tonic usually containe quinine, alcohol, morphine (or cocaine) and a juice like fig or prune.  Who wouldn't be glowing after a shot of that?  LOL!