Trusted Contributor

I no longer prefer opaque lipsticks; I now like to wear sheer lipstick or glosses anyone else?

[ Edited ]

I am fifty now and I have found that full coverage, opaque lipstick, especially matte finish, is just too much for me. I am finishing the last two that I have then I will not replace them. My skin is dry now and my skintone is is losing its color and become more translucent as I am getting older. The strong appearance of the opaque lipsticks really stand out in a negative way now even though I only wear pinks and rose colors and not dark colors. 

I have really had to soften my makeup and adjust to wearing lighter sheerer makeup in general. Anyone 50 or older feel this way or not? Let's have a conversation that is helpful to all readers. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: I no longer prefer opaque lipsticks; I now like to wear sheer lipstick or glosses anyone else?

@dperry wrote:

I am fifty now and I have found that full coverage, opaque lipstick, especially matte finish, is just too much for me. I am finishing the last two that I have then I will not replace them. My skin is dry now and my skintone is is losing its color and become more translucent as I am getting older. The strong appearance of the opaque lipsticks really stand out in a negative way now even though I only wear pinks and rose colors and not dark colors. 

I have really had to soften my makeup and adjust to wearing lighter sheerer makeup in general. Anyone 50 or older feel this way or not? Let's have a conversation that is helpful to all readers. Thanks.

I do agree with you. The combo of turning 50 and having a more casual lifestyle has made me lighten up my makeup routine. I look at photos of myself more heavily made up and wonder, "What was I thinking?"  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: I no longer prefer opaque lipsticks; I now like to wear sheer lipstick or glosses anyone else?

I feel the same way but I have been using sheer pink gloss for as long as I can remember. Opaque, esp. matte just always looked too harsh on me and like you said-stood out and not in a good way!

I do like opaque on many others and wish I could wear it without looking clownish lol!

I like Jordana (Walgreens) and I think NY City have nice light pink ones but not too light.

I used to use Wet and Wild all the time-but they are made in China now and also have changed their formula.

But wait, NYC is not totally cruelty free.

MIlani, Jordana, Flower (by Drew Barrymore sold at Walmart and nice also)Wet and Wild are all cruelty free.

I just found a great website for this called logicalharmony.net. So many sites-bunnyfree, even peta are confusing. This one also gives you a list of all drugstore cosmetics that are cruelty free.

Some companies from other websites say they are but then if a country requires it, they do test.

I'm so glad you started this thread so I could find this info!

These lists are updated frequently too because when the parent company changes, the cruelty free aspect might also.

I don't feel there is any reason to test on animals when there are other ways to test that harms no living thing!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  I hear you.  You're beginning to experience the same issues I started having when I was around your age.  I'm 67 now, and I've found it's become a never ending transition.  You'll need to keep looking in the mirror and re-assessing yourself.  You'll find a system that works, then suddenly it doesn't anymore.  The biggest changes I've noticed is that my lips have practically disappeared, but the redness they used to have is now all around my eyes!  I never used to wear eyebrow pencil, but now they are gone, so I have no choice.  I now spend way more time covering up what I don't like than I do adding to what I have.  Just be open to changes, and don't get stuck in a routine that no longer works!  Woman Wink

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

@dperry wrote:

Yes, I am also changing my makeup. I'm finding a glossy lipstick looks better on me and a more sheer foundation. Instead of black eyeliner I have now switched over to Dark Dark brown. Mascara is still black though.

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Trusted Contributor

Well I'm over 60 and have always preferred a frosted lipstick from the time I was a teenager and first started wearing lipstick until now.  I recently tried one of the matte lipsticks since it was all the rage and really dislike how it looked on me. 

It's good to update your makeup as you age and I have recently tried the new Doll 10 foundation which looks great on my oily skin.  I always have gone for a matte look since I have oily skin (just the opposite of my lips) but now find I like the more dewy appearance and think it looks younger.  That and the fact that using foundation and powder to give me a matte look settles more in my fine lines.

But back to lipstick, I just received Pop Colour's 4 new metallic lip colors and love them!

Respected Contributor

I also agree with what everone else has said. I am 63 and glosses look better and light but do not last long.  Can anyone recommend pretty pink glosses that do last a longtime? Or any glosses that you now love since getting older?

Great thread. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not, but I have found the Sephora brand of glosses super nice, longer lasting than most and nice color payoff. They are not super expensive either......Lots of colors to choose from as well.

Trusted Contributor

@cuddlesmama, I like the look of a gloss too, but have never found ANY that last.  I've found the best thing to do when wanting to wear a gloss is find one of the long-wearing lipsticks in a color you like and put a gloss on top so at least when the gloss wears off, you have some color left.  I think there are many pretty pinks out there to choose from.

Regular Contributor

I too find the same thing. What I do is put a gloss over the matte/opaque lipstick to soften the look. I do have a favorite sheer that I found it's the Clinique Black Honey. It looks very dark but is a sheer look when put on. Just love it for a touch of color.