Trusted Contributor

I need help identifying hair product (straight hair styling product)

I could use some help figuring out what product I should sue for this purpose.  My hair is straight, and when I blow dry it straight, I use zero styling product.  It isn't frizzy but I may use a dab of Wen styling cream on the ends occasionally.  I've wanted to blow dry it with a round brush to give it some soft curlers, but when I do so, the curls/waves last around an hour before falling straight again.  I dislike mousse because it it sticky and I haven't found one that isn't.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a product (cream, mousse, etc) that isn't sticky, that I can run through my towel dried hair before blowdrying it, and will give me a little "hold" when I blow dry my hair into waves/curls?  I use a good brush that should work for this purpose, and while my hair does look good after I take the time to blow dry the curls, they just fall right out without any product.....

Id prefer a drugstore or Ulta/Sephora product so that I can go buy it today and not wait to order....

Respected Contributor

Re: I need help identifying hair product (straight hair styling product)

I would try a gel or a good anti-humidity hair spray on each section before your give it its curl. I have very straight hair and have issues with curl keeping, so I air dry at night and use Calista Tool's Hot Rollers. They are the only ones that get hot enough to curl my hair, mind you, I have to let them fully cool and spray each section before rolling and after to get them to hold. I had chin length hair when I bought them, and got the extra long ones so that the 12 would be enough for my thick hair. I have shorter hair, and have to use two sets of the rollers for shorter hair. I got them for a great price from Amazon versus here.
Trusted Contributor

@TigrissTigress - what kind of gel do you use?  I will try it if it works for someone else with straight hair.  I just hate sticky products or those that make hair "crunchy"

Respected Contributor

Hello, CAshopper2011. Smiley Happy

I use Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Thickening/Hydrating Styling Gel. Even though it's a gel, it doesn't leave the hair crunchy like other styling gels. It's a little bit sticky in the hands, but once you distrubute throughout your hair, the stickiness goes away. In other words, my hair doesn't feel sticky to the touch.

If you'd like something a bit lighter, Nick Chavez makes something called SoftFlocker. That's a styling paste. I haven't used that one, though. Sorry, but they're both sold online.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

I have dealt with totally straight hair my whole life.  My hair looks quite good when I blow dry it, but within a few hours all the poof is gone.  I have tried just about every product and style and nothing works.  I have learned just to live with it.  When my hairdresser asks what I would like I always say " more body and some height on top."  "You know that is not going to happen, right?"  And we just laugh.  My hair is very healthy and for that I am grateful.  I am in my late 60s with no grey -- yeah!

Esteemed Contributor

ITA with @NC Bandwagon about Nick Chavez's Velvet Mesquite.  Great product!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks ladies!  I ordered the Nick Chavez velvet mesquite gel after watching the video.  I am really hoping it is the answer, and the demo made it seem like it could be...not a bad price either!  Wish me luck...

Respected Contributor

613 mousse is not sticky or stiff  next to that suave professionals mouse.  I was just thinking maybe a seasalt spray?  I hear that suave sea mineral sea salt spray gives a nice light hold and you can put it in wet hair.

Valued Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I have dealt with totally straight hair my whole life.  My hair looks quite good when I blow dry it, but within a few hours all the poof is gone.  I have tried just about every product and style and nothing works.  I have learned just to live with it.  When my hairdresser asks what I would like I always say " more body and some height on top."  "You know that is not going to happen, right?"  And we just laugh.  My hair is very healthy and for that I am grateful.  I am in my late 60s with no grey -- yeah!

Biftu, your response has me giggling. I am right there with ya! Us stick straight hair girls know you speak the truth!  As a teen, I used to braid my long, wet hair overnight so that when I awoke I would have some waves. Of course, by the end of my first class, my hair was back to straight.  But it was always fun while it lasted!! Hah!  And, my friends with curly/frizzy/hard-to-deal-with hair have always reminded me how grateful I should be with my easy-to-manage, healthy, happy head of straight hair!  And, so I am.

Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

Biftu, your response has me giggling. I am right there with ya! Us stick straight hair girls know you speak the truth!  As a teen, I used to braid my long, wet hair overnight so that when I awoke I would have some waves. Of course, by the end of my first class, my hair was back to straight.  But it was always fun while it lasted!! Hah!  And, my friends with curly/frizzy/hard-to-deal-with hair have always reminded me how grateful I should be with my easy-to-manage, healthy, happy head of straight hair!  And, so I am.

I have long straight hair too and used hot rollers and they were just ok BUT...I purchased the Kiss InstaWave and it gives me just the perfect beachy/ wavy curls that I've been trying to get forever AND they last till you wash them out! The best curling tool for long hair that I have ever found. It takes a few times using it to get the hang of it but when you do the results are WAY worth it!