Valued Contributor

Re: I'm done with salon mani/pedis

I go for a manicure every three weeks and a pedicure once a month.  I bring my own polish.  Have not had any problems.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I go every other week for a pedicure becuase I have messed up toes/toenails that require some heavy duty work plus, I can't turn my feet to the correct angle in order to work on the nails. The woman does an amazing job. I bring my own stuff including polishes as I love NP and own many. I do my own manicure because I find it relaxing, lol.

I used to go just as often.  I'm loyal to one salon and one tech.  About a year ago they stopped respecting appt times.  I tried a couple of other techs.  Yikes!  I've really cut down and have become pretty adept at my own pedis except when back is awful.  This summer (when not crazy hot) I would fill a little tub with bath salts, dried lavendar or another dried flower/herb, powdered goats milk (lactic acid), take it to the screened porch, turn on the ceiling fan and music, relax and soak my toes.  I do miss a good foot massage, though.

Trusted Contributor

Love pedis! I get one every 3-4 weeks. Have NEVER had a problem since I don't go to the cheap places. I do my own manis.

Valued Contributor

Wow!  Can't imagine giving up my bi-weekly mani for 35$ and every three week $55 pedi for anything.  my spa-type salon is quite clean, and maintained.   It's part of maintenance   Same as hair, for me!  I do know there are some shady places that offer much cheaper prices and services, may be ok, but I prefer a  high rated, clean spot, I can trust, one, one of mr doctors frequents.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Love the nail art Surfer Wife!

Thanks @SydneyH! My manicurist is quite talented and comes up with some really beautiful designs.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I go every other week for a pedicure becuase I have messed up toes/toenails that require some heavy duty work plus, I can't turn my feet to the correct angle in order to work on the nails. The woman does an amazing job. I bring my own stuff including polishes as I love NP and own many. I do my own manicure because I find it relaxing, lol.

I used to go just as often.  I'm loyal to one salon and one tech.  About a year ago they stopped respecting appt times.  I tried a couple of other techs.  Yikes!  I've really cut down and have become pretty adept at my own pedis except when back is awful.  This summer (when not crazy hot) I would fill a little tub with bath salts, dried lavendar or another dried flower/herb, powdered goats milk (lactic acid), take it to the screened porch, turn on the ceiling fan and music, relax and soak my toes.  I do miss a good foot massage, though.

I get mani/pedi every so often (to clean things up) but between those appointments I do my own.  I am going to follow your path and do the foot soak that you do.  Sounds so nice! 

I love doing my own nails because I love all the colors ( I have alot) and sometimes do them 2 x a week.   

Respected Contributor

I used to go regularly but I had a great place where regulars kept their own kit of tools in boxes on shelves. I haven't seen a place like that for a while. I found a new place that I trusted and never had a problem, but then I started using Perfect Formula Gel (from the Q). It makes such a great base, that my toenails turn out looking and lasting as if I went for a pedi. For a while, I did my own acrylics, so I had the cuticle nippers, etc. So now I just do it all myself with a very rare (like once a yr.) indulgence to the salon for a pedi.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Valued Contributor

I used to go for regular manis and got silk wraps, years ago.  With newer polishes that last longer, these days, I do my own manis.  I've never had a pedi because of the chance of infections and fungus.  I also can't imagine that I would really like somebody messing with my feet, honestly.  My manis last about a week and take an hour or so to do while I watch TV or read my Kindle.  I love Revlon Gel type polishes and use Nailtiques as a base coat, Seche Vite as a top coat.  I get compliments on my nails all the time.

Valued Contributor

this is very ironic for me. I went today with my daughter for mani pedis. BUT....before today I haven't gone in years. 

When I was still healthy enough to work, I went every other week. I always brought my own tools and colors and would request they clean the tub again before I put my feet in! But now...too expensive and a gamble with bacteria. 

However, today was a very special occasion....my daughter is getting married in less than 48 hours!!!  💖🎂💍🎈💖

I'm more nervous than she is! Can't sleep but, I'm exhausted and in pain.

I just have ro pack, and wrap two little personal gifts for each of them. It's a three day thing at a country B&B and I'm always a wreck packing. Everything is ready...just have to do  the actual packing. DH will help me. 

Respected Contributor

@jennlinn wrote:

Actually, I've been done with them since last summer.

I know I'm probably the odd one on this, but it's just not enjoyable for me to go and have salon mani/pedis.

Also, I don't think it's very hygenic. (I'm grossed out by the whole thing if I think too hard about it, so I don't anymoreSmiley Wink) I never had a problem, but feel like it's a hotbed for bacteria and overall ickyness...

And, my hands and feet have never looked better since giving up the salon. I use foot cream nightly and keep my finger and toe nails polished with clear polish. I've been using Argan oil on my cuticles and my nails are stronger than ever :-)

Am I alone on this? Or have any of you given up your salon mani/pedis?

ITA! I don't think it's hygienic either. I've never had a pedicure. The idea of someone else's dead skin in the container is not aesthetically pleasing to me. I do sometimes on special occasions have a shape and polish to my fingernails. I've always done my own manicures and pedicures and my nails grow long,strong and very white. In fact I don't have to do much to shape them. They are oval as I don't like them squared off. I do sometimes have to cut them as they get to long.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran