Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm done with salon mani/pedis

I'm also "done with them." Frankly, I'm just scared to have them done anymore. I loved the professionalism of mani/pedis and loved getting them weekly (manicures). Then, I got a fungus infection in my thumb nail. The nail pulled away from the bed. It took me an entire year to get rid of it. So, I would love to go back again, but I know what can happen, so I now do my own. They never look as good, but you may think the place is bacteria free, but no more chances for me.

Honored Contributor

I continue to do pedicures because I trust my friend who owns the shop.   It's a very small shop with limited hours.   My friend only books a few appointments a day, as the shop is her hobby, not her sole source of income.  I would never go anywhere else for a pedicure.    

Esteemed Contributor

I've been doing my own manis and pedis for my entire life.  I was blessed with strong, well-shaped nails, so it's easy, and I love using my huge collection of polishes.  I get a lot of compliments on my nails, so I must be doing it right!  My hair is another matter.  The money I save on manis and pedis gets spent on monthly haircuts to keep my straight baby fine hair looking decent.  Woman Frustrated

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Since I have a busy job I decided to see if I could just do my mani pedi's myself.  This was 5 years ago.  Don't get me wrong it is nice to have mani/pedi's, but I would rather do something else than sit in a salon.  Also my nails always have to look good.  So I purchased some tools and decided to try doing my nails and toes myself.  On my nails I have a soft french manicure and on my toes a pink/brown neutral.  With practice I now realize that my nails and toes look just as good as a professional mani/pedi.  I obviously have saved a lot of money, but more importantly I am no longer a slave to a salon.  Also If I decided I need a manicure I can just do it.  I do not have to book an appointment.  

Respected Contributor

I do my own nails.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I do mine own.  I do my feet every 2 weeks.  I know these salons are loaded with bacteria.  The quick rinses they do wil neverl kill bacteria.  The soak bowls, tubs, and eqipment/tools need to be sterilized.    I do go occasoinally for a treat to a salon I somewhat trust. But I always feel dirty after.  I just went for a mani/pedi because I was given a giftcard...the total was $65, plus I gave 20% tip.  Nothing really special either.   I really wouldn't spend that kind of money every two weeks.   I have a back round in salons and did nails and pedicures also, so I know what I'm doing in order to do a good job.  But, I admit, it sure is pampering if we could only find the perfect place.   I think that's my home...free too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been doing my own manis & pedis for years.  I find it relaxing, I do it whenever I feel like it, and I get compliments all the time.  I'm not particularly talented, but it's not at all hard to do.  Pedis are a bit more challenging than manis because I have a knee issue, but some trial and error taught me what works best.  

I once had a mani at a high-end salon in an upscale hotel, and although it looked beautiful, it chipped within 2 days.  I just can't justify paying for that when I do a much better job myself.  No appointment needed, and I usually watch TV while I'm doing it, so the time flies.  It just takes a few minutes, anyway!  

Esteemed Contributor

I love to get them but the place I go to is very, very pricey.  I pay it but only because they use an autoclave and pipeless chairs.  I can't risk going to anyplace that doesn't use an autoclave and it seems hardly any place does.  I don't go as often as I would like but my nails look great when I do go.

Honored Contributor

Never had a pedi but have had a mani twice in my life-- before my wedding and before son's wedding. I brought my own polish for that one.

I usually do my own mani/pedis.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I go every other week for a pedicure becuase I have messed up toes/toenails that require some heavy duty work plus, I can't turn my feet to the correct angle in order to work on the nails. The woman does an amazing job. I bring my own stuff including polishes as I love NP and own many. I do my own manicure because I find it relaxing, lol.