Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm done with salon mani/pedis

I used to get them regularly at a salon but I trusted the tech I booked the appointments with. I would observe her techniques and I trusted her level of cleanliness.

Since I moved, well, not so much. I had a co worker treat me to a mani-pedi for my birthday. I didn't want to say anything but the place skeeved me out and I haven't been back. She didn't seem to mind at all, the price was right.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a question. Can you get nail fungus from the salon nail polish? I know you can from the tools they use but what about the bottles of polish?

Trusted Contributor

@Sissyrose  I've read multiple places that the chemicals in the polish would kill it.

Respected Contributor

I'm 61 and I've been getting mani/pedis every two to three weeks for the past 6 years and I've never had a problem.  The salon I go to is very clean.  I love getting my mani/pedi's, I find it very relaxing.  I do my own in the winter months, too cold to go out and I don't wear sandals but I hate doing them myself.  I take my own nail polish.  It is expensve but it's my treat to me.  To each their own.  I'm sure the ladies on these boards find all kinds of different ways to treat themselves.

Respected Contributor

I have a bad back and can no longer care for my own toe nails.  The place I go is super clean and my sweet gal does a great job of taking care of my toes.  I can handle my fiingers, but have no idea what I would do without her for my toes.  I've never seen a group of nail techs who are so clean. 

Respected Contributor

I am 66 and have been getting mani's for about 35 years without any problems. However, I do take my own polish, base and topcoat. I was kind of forced into getting pedicures about 15 years ago because my feet started to have a terrible buildup of thick, cracked skin. After many podiatrist visits, he suggested that I start getting regular pedicures too. I do pedicures once a month and my mani's are every week. BTW I don't use gel polishes and I have natural nails. During the week I apply oil to my nails once a day and Hard As Hoofs Nail Strengthening Cream. My nails are in very good shape.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the tip about the Argan oil on the cuticles helping to strengthen the nails. I really need that.n I've never really been into mani/pedies either since my fingernails are weak and chip right away and my feet are well taken care of at home, so no need to spend the extra money.
Valued Contributor

@jennlinn wrote:

Actually, I've been done with them since last summer.

I know I'm probably the odd one on this, but it's just not enjoyable for me to go and have salon mani/pedis.

Also, I don't think it's very hygenic. (I'm grossed out by the whole thing if I think too hard about it, so I don't anymoreSmiley Wink) I never had a problem, but feel like it's a hotbed for bacteria and overall ickyness...

And, my hands and feet have never looked better since giving up the salon. I use foot cream nightly and keep my finger and toe nails polished with clear polish. I've been using Argan oil on my cuticles and my nails are stronger than ever :-)

Am I alone on this? Or have any of you given up your salon mani/pedis?

Right there with you!!! Yes, it's nice to have someone massaging my feet, etc., but is it worth the potential for walking out with some type of infection??  I think not. No more pedi, no more mani.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been getting Spa Pedicures for over 20+ years, and I have no intention of stopping. I get them done every three weeks. I keep up the work in between with my emjoi.

I take care of my own fingernails.

I do make sure to only visit good salons and I take my own nail polish.

Honored Contributor

Love the nail art Surfer Wife!