Respected Contributor

Re: I'm done with salon mani/pedis

and I bring my own polish.lincoln park after dark, thats all I wear..

Trusted Contributor

Add my name to the list of those who have never had a salon mani/pedi. The idea just has never appealed to me. I'd much rather spend the money on polish and other supplies and do it myself while I'm watching tv.

Esteemed Contributor

@jennlinn wrote:

Actually, I've been done with them since last summer.

I know I'm probably the odd one on this, but it's just not enjoyable for me to go and have salon mani/pedis.

Also, I don't think it's very hygenic. (I'm grossed out by the whole thing if I think too hard about it, so I don't anymoreSmiley Wink) I never had a problem, but feel like it's a hotbed for bacteria and overall ickyness...

And, my hands and feet have never looked better since giving up the salon. I use foot cream nightly and keep my finger and toe nails polished with clear polish. I've been using Argan oil on my cuticles and my nails are stronger than ever :-)

Am I alone on this? Or have any of you given up your salon mani/pedis?

I can't tell you how many times we have patients come in our office to get rid of ingrown toe nails from Pedicures they had in a salon.  There is no way I would go to those places for a manicure or a pedicure.  Nail fungus takes months to get rid of if you can get rid of it.  It's just not worth it.  I do my own manicures and use Skinn's new foot fetish product that works well in taking off dead skin.  This way I don't have to worry about fungus nails or infections from dirty instruments.  You just don't know who had nail fungus before you sit in that chair for your manicure.  

Honored Contributor

I get spa pedis all the time (every 6-7 weeks) as a relaxation experience. I have never had any kind of issue. I often take my own polish. I don't need callus removal. Any place I go to uses autoclaved instruments and I see them sterilize things. I refuse to worry about what might possibly happen maybe.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

No, I have not given up yet but then I do not go that often.  You can't think too much about it otherwise you will be grossed out.  The bowls for your feet need to be cleaned out with a bleach product each time after use.  Tools should be packaged and only used for one person (I actually went to a salon that did this).  They also need to start using the new tools avaiable for erasing dead skin from your feet.  You really do need to be careful about the salon you go to for manicures and pedicures and make sure they are sanitary.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I have also been thinking about quitting nail salons.  The thing is my fingernails need constant maintainance when I go....the cuticles, hang nails, the skin around the edge of nails gets ragged, etc.  Before I ever used to go to salons, there was no maintainance other than the usual cutting and filing.  I have had surgery on both big toes from improper cutting of nail.  Nails should be cut straight across and yet these technicians want to curve them, file them etc and cause ingrown nails.  I actually haven't had a manicure now for over 6 weeks, doing my own, and trying to withdraw.  Maybe I'll get supplies in and start doing my feet too.  If anything, I can go just get toenails polished but nothing else.  I agree there are ALOT of germs present in these salons!!

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, until I read this thread, I figured I was the only one here who doesn't get manis or pedis at a salon.  Good to know I'm not alone!  For me, it's easy to do it myself, and I also wonder about cleanliness at those places.

Respected Contributor

i get a pedi every so often but do a better job at home.  none of the salons are close by me. i don't believe the pedi baths can really be disinfected properly in between clients, even with the liners becuase the drain is still exposed.  and they have people with cash waiting, they have to make hay while the sun shines.

i visited a salon i had not been to, a month ago.  i had a coupon for 20% off. i could see why this salon keeps mailing out coupons. there were like 12 pedi chairs and rows and rows of mani stations, but maybe 4 techs working and they were arguing.. two techs took turns on me in the chair and then wordlessly got up to work on fingernails. finally a tech showed up for work and  cane over with the tools in a plastic cup.

the place looked like a germ factory. i really really should have walked out. i have done that twice with other places because they're very disorganized.  i got itchy toes for a few days after and used athletes foot cream . yuk!!  now i'm grossed out!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

image.jpgLove getting my salon pedis!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

image.jpgLove getting my salon manis, too!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.