Contributor

I'm done with salon mani/pedis

Actually, I've been done with them since last summer.

I know I'm probably the odd one on this, but it's just not enjoyable for me to go and have salon mani/pedis.

Also, I don't think it's very hygenic. (I'm grossed out by the whole thing if I think too hard about it, so I don't anymoreSmiley Wink) I never had a problem, but feel like it's a hotbed for bacteria and overall ickyness...

And, my hands and feet have never looked better since giving up the salon. I use foot cream nightly and keep my finger and toe nails polished with clear polish. I've been using Argan oil on my cuticles and my nails are stronger than ever :-)

Am I alone on this? Or have any of you given up your salon mani/pedis?

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm done with salon mani/pedis

@jennlinn wrote:

Actually, I've been done with them since last summer.

I know I'm probably the odd one on this, but it's just not enjoyable for me to go and have salon mani/pedis.

Also, I don't think it's very hygenic. (I'm grossed out by the whole thing if I think too hard about it, so I don't anymoreSmiley Wink) I never had a problem, but feel like it's a hotbed for bacteria and overall ickyness...

And, my hands and feet have never looked better since giving up the salon. I use foot cream nightly and keep my finger and toe nails polished with clear polish. I've been using Argan oil on my cuticles and my nails are stronger than ever :-)

Am I alone on this? Or have any of you given up your salon mani/pedis?

I can't maintain my cuticles like a professional........

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never had one in my life. I do not want some picking and cutting my nails....I feel it is to risky to pick up infections.

Respected Contributor

I have never had a salon mani or pedi. Just not worth potential problems and chemicals in nail products.

Valued Contributor

The first time I ever had a manicure in my life I was 26 and probably 29 when I had a pedi. I very rarely get a manicure--maybe a few times/year. I mostly just do it myself. However, I DO enjoy a pedicure. The problem is that if I think about it too hard I get freaked out, too. :-0 My salon is very on top of hygienic stuff. And frequently advertises their latest and greatest new technologies to keep things as safe as possible (not really technology, per se, but they have individual pedi tub liners that get tossed after each client, and autoclave their instruments). However, that's still not enough to completely keep me at ease.
Honored Contributor

I love my manis and pedis I get them done every two weeks and will forever

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

While getting a salon mani or pedi is fun once in a while, it's expensive. It costs $50 CDN to have a pedicure that includes nail polish and a leg and foot massage. Since I bought the Micropedi last year (both the battery and electric model) I don't feel I need to go to a salon any more to get my feet smooth.

Before when I would go to a salon, I would even use a foot file to get off as much dead skin from my heels so the technician wouldn't see how bad it looked. Now with the Micropedi I don't have that problem! Yeah!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree , OP , they are a hotbed of bacteria. And they use the same polish on everyone --- eeewww. Not for me. I have an emjoi and I do my feet and nails at home. I don't use polish. I get my toenails trimmed , however, at the podiatrist's office because I have a very bad back and it is hard for me to trim them well. About once every few years or so I will decide to get a pedi and I'm always sorry I did.

Trusted Contributor

I have never been a big fan of Salon pedicures. Some where I am living still use the callus cutters. I refuse to have this done. I would go for the spa experience, but honestly, my Emjoi works better.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Respected Contributor

I got my first mani/pedi at age 58....now I go every three months to treat myself,my salon is very clean and I get the works for 25 dollars..