Trusted Contributor

I have hooded brown eyes what color eyeshadow would be best? dark or light?

I was wondering if lighter color eyeshadows would be better for hooded eyes over 5o than darker shadows? Anyone have any experience?

Honored Contributor

Re: I have hooded brown eyes what color eyeshadow would be best? dark or light?

I'd like to know this, too.  I use a taupe color to hide the purple/red on my eyes and use a pink/light between to my eyebrows.  It lightens my face some. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are some youtube videos featuring Wayne Goss on different ways to deal with hooded eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuACWHubn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utWAvBVhwY

The third one is not Wayne Goss but a makeup tutorial that shows what to do on one side of the face and what not to do on the other. I think this is helpful because you can actually see the difference. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFgApDnyp0  Also the girl in this video does NOT have hooded eyes, but these are great tips nonetheless. 

I am not sure if there are colors you wouldn't wear because of a hooded eye, as much as the different application. I definitely would avoid a lot of shimmery eyeshadows though. I do think a shimmer or metallic just on the center of the eye would not be bad. I just wouldn't want to put it all over my lid or in my crease.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I can't believe I'm telling you this.  I know nothing about how it works, it seems uninvasive.  Maybe it's stupid but I saw something on the Southern Channel the other day that looked very interesting for hooded eyes.

I know other people who have what they call hooded eyes so bad it affected their eye sight and they had to have operations.  I'm sure yours isn't anywhere near that bad.

I did see this the other day and it looked like it worked.  Please know I have no idea how you look and I'd say don't even worry about it, but here it is.

It's called Contour Rx Lids by Design 5mm eyelid strips.  Read about them.

Honored Contributor

IMO I think lighter shades would look better. I have seen so many older women with dark color eyes wearing dark shadows & it looks like a black hole there when mixed with black mascara & black eyeliner. There is a host on Q I noticed looks like that. Have fun experimenting with shadows to find the ones you like best.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

Thanks for sharing your 1st 2 links.  It always amazes me when I watch males who can apply eye makeup better than females as well as provide "how to" tutorials.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

Thanks for sharing your 1st 2 links.  It always amazes me when I watch males who can apply eye makeup better than females as well as provide "how to" tutorials.

Hahaha!! I know, me too!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@dperry wrote:

I was wondering if lighter color eyeshadows would be better for hooded eyes over 5o than darker shadows? Anyone have any experience?

@Squirrel Lover A lighter shade would look the best with your brown eyes.

I like and use "Bobbi Brown's" cream eyeshadow in "Bone" and "Shore".

And I guess you wear mascara? With mascara and light shadow it brings attention to your eyes and away from your hooded skin.

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

I'd like to know this, too.  I use a taupe color to hide the purple/red on my eyes and use a pink/light between to my eyebrows.  It lightens my face some. 

@Preds, have you considered using either a tinted eye primer or, as I do, applying some concealer to hide discoloration? It really makes even light eyeshadows look better.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Hot and Flashy is a youtuber that DOES have hooded eyes and has great videos on how to use makeup with hooded eyes. I would check her out. You would never know she has hooded eyes after she puts on her makeup.