Valued Contributor

I get so mixed up when I go to buy makeup

I watch a lot of beauty Youtube videos (young people and older like me)..  This one recommends this, and that one recommends that, and I try and make a list of what they said.  However, when I get into the drugstore, Wal/Targ or Ulta, I just get overwhelmed. So many brands, products-and new ones coming out all the time, I usually leave without buying anything.  I am on a budget too, which limits me.  (Is it me or has makeup gone up in price a lot?). Anyway, I just stick to the tried and true that I have used for a long time.  Anyone else like me?

Respected Contributor

Re: I get so mixed up when I go to buy makeup

I switch up.  To try something new, I first look at elf online and get sort of a tester cheap.  Actually, some of the elf products are in my regular routine.

Esteemed Contributor

When I have something pricey that tempts me, I check ebay first to see if I can get it in a travel or gwp size.

Saves me a gazillion $ a year because I wind up with a lot of meh and no worries about a store return policy.

Frequent Contributor

It is overwhelming. I need to write the exact name down of what I want because more than once I picked up the wrong thing. I enjoy watching YouTube beauty "gurus".  I've been following Angie on Hot and Flashy as she reviews different foundations. I also watch Emily Noel and Melissa Autry. (Melmphs). That girl can talk up a storm. 

Valued Contributor

I agree about trying to pick out make-up. I'm 61 and have really appreciated SKINN make-up kits. It's all kind of put together for you and generally I love the makeup. Also the price is great.
Esteemed Contributor

Try googling the makeup items that you are interested in and take a screen grab of the picture with your phone so you know what you are looking for. If the store has testers, give something like the foundation or blush a try out first.

Respected Contributor

One thing I like about Ulta is that they often have some higher priced items in try-me sizes.  I often see IT products in the small sizes as well as Benefit and Tarte items.  I just recently picked up a try-me size of the Benefit They're Real mascara - gotta say I'm loving it.  In the past, I've bought full size products like mascaras and end up frustrated with their performance for me and toss them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pianomama wrote:

I watch a lot of beauty Youtube videos (young people and older like me)..  This one recommends this, and that one recommends that, and I try and make a list of what they said.  However, when I get into the drugstore, Wal/Targ or Ulta, I just get overwhelmed. So many brands, products-and new ones coming out all the time, I usually leave without buying anything.  I am on a budget too, which limits me.  (Is it me or has makeup gone up in price a lot?). Anyway, I just stick to the tried and true that I have used for a long time.  Anyone else like me?

I think it's really confusing when you see ALL the products in the drugstore. A good way for you to try, @chihuahuamom, might be to watch the home shopping networks for a Today's Special KIT, which offers a complete face in the kit for a reasonable. Sometimes you can try a kit with the full face for $l0. or less a piece. This way you have the expert choose all the correct colors and just what you need. 

Super Contributor

I have been having so much fun lately with Urban Decay's Gwen Stefani eye makeup palette.  I'm 54 yrs old and loving it.  The colors are totally wearable.  I do find as I get older however, the harder I try, the worse I look.  If I just apply "normal" eye makeup without over-doing it I look much better.  I've also found using a brown to dark brown eyeliner works best.  The black is usually too harsh looking.  I also just got the Gwen Stefani cheek palette and it is really nice as well.  Her lipstick in Ex-girlfriend is a great every-day color that's not too much.  I don't have too much patience for watching tutorials and they add so many colors at times it can be ridiculous.  I like using three eye colors at best.

Honored Contributor

@Pianomama wrote:

@chihuahuamom I use to try every foundation and mascara.

But I now just use and buy what works for me.

Now if there are some products that you would like to try, lots of better make-up brands have "gift with purchase".

You can try several products.

Most of them like Clinique always has mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick etc

I have wasted so much money trying the "Next best thing".

For fun, you can always go to the mall and have a make-over.