Trusted Contributor

Re: I Knew I hated Powder Foundations and

I also stay away from the IT CC cream and powder foundations as the color doesn't work at all for my neutral coloring, it's far too yellow.

A surprisingly nice drugstore powder foundation is L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Powder.  It's very finely milled and doesn't leave a cakey finish unless you apply too much, of course.  Coverage is light to medium and is great for evening out the complexion.  It does have a very slight shimmer to it, though, like an illuminating powder, that I can see on my skin in bright sunshine.  To cover imperfections, you will need to use a concealer first.  It's also a great finishing powder over a CC cream for extra coverage.  I also use Laura Geller Balance-n-Brighten but this powder is not as finely milled as the L'Oreal True Match.  On the plus side, the Laura Geller BnB is matte, no shimmer.  The BnB in Fair works with my neutral, light-medium skintone (N3 in L'Oreal True Match) and I often wear both of these powder foundations together. 

I find that a primer is critical to a smooth application with powder foundation so it doesn't settle into the large pores in the T-zone (everyone has them) and fine wrinkles.  A setting spray takes away any powder look and somehow melds the powder to your skin and makes it look like your skin, but better.  There are matte finish and dewy finish setting sprays out there, not sure why more people don't use them with powder foundations.

The IT concealer was my HG concealer until I developed more fine wrinkles under my eyes (I'm 59).  The thick paste texture of the concealer was accentuating the wrinkles.  So, for now, I've found that Maybelline Master Conceal works pretty well.  Some have called this a dupe for MAC Pro Longwear Concealer.  The Maybelline product has a more liquid texture than the IT product and comes in a small tube like the IT product.  Yes, it still tends to settle into fine lines, even if I set it very lightly with powder, but it's not as bad as the IT concealer. 

Respected Contributor

Re: I Knew I hated Powder Foundations

Dang it! I so didn't want to hear this. I haven't received mine but I'm already hating the foundation based on what you ladies have said. If I return it, do I have to send it back in the huge box or can I throw the makeup in a mailer envelope and insure it and send it?

Honored Contributor

I just feel I shouldn't have to spray my face with anything in order to get the foundation to work. If a foundation doesn't look good on its own, then it isn't for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of powder foundations because they tend to showcase pores I never knew I had!

Honored Contributor

I'd used a liquid foundation up until about six months ago, when I tried Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra DefinitionPowder Foundation and never looked back.

I use the Light Neutral shade. It seems to melt into the skin within a couple minutes. It doesn't settle into anything. It can easily be built up without it looking cakey. And application (I use a Sedona Lace brushes) is a breeze -- a fluffy one for light coverage and/or a denser one for more coverage where needed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I would never ever put any kind of powder on my face.  Powder eyeshadow..but anything else never. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Dang it! I so didn't want to hear this. I haven't received mine but I'm already hating the foundation based on what you ladies have said. If I return it, do I have to send it back in the huge box or can I throw the makeup in a mailer envelope and insure it and send it?

That's a good question. If you call and ask please reply back.

Respected Contributor

Ok the kit came and I tried everything. While the powder doesn't accentuate my pores, it is nothing special. Actually nothing in the kit is that special (the brush being the best). I found the powder to be medium coverage at best. I piled it on still not that great of coverage. The BBUE is ok, not better than my drugstore dupes (I have dark circles and a vein, so I was hoping for a miracle). Mascara is blah. My DD likes the eyebrow pencil. The lipstick turns my lips a weird pink. I may return but will give it a few days 

Esteemed Contributor

I still dislike the powder compact in this tsv, but I have to say it looked way better on me after using a primer under it.  I don't care what anybody says, Primer makes a difference!  To me it even makes a difference if you're wearing a liquid foundation.  It's like Laura Geller says you're setting a canvas to your face.  I still wouldn't purchase this powder compact again or any powder compact.  In a pinch, if I use primer I can use this compact and not waste it by letting it sit in my bathroom unused.  
Regular Contributor

I find using a setting spray on any powder foundation helps, you should definitely give it a try.  Nothing wrong with using one.  One of the comments above was not helpful and came off as rude.