Honored Contributor

Re: I Just Tried a Scalp Scrub. Should You?

@JeanLouiseFinch ---I do the same thing with the same products including the spiky rubber thing.  use it 1x a week as I use alot of products to get my very fine, thin , stick straight hair,  to slightly bend with my curling iron--then I spray the be- jeezus out it with hair spray just to be able to set the "bend" , for a few hours----haven't used the peptides thing tho--what does that do?

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch ---I do the same thing with the same products including the spiky rubber thing.  use it 1x a week as I use alot of products to get my very fine, thin , stick straight hair,  to slightly bend with my curling iron--then I spray the be- jeezus out it with hair spray just to be able to set the "bend" , for a few hours----haven't used the peptides thing tho--what does that do?

@wagirl   Here’s the info from The Ordinary.  The hair peptides go on nightly and get massaged in. I apply a dropperful or two all around my scalp and use the spiky thing to lightly massage, plus I think it helps in distributing the product better.  I like that my hair doesn’t get greasy from it either. Nothing happens overnight but I am getting some new regrowth so I’m going to stick with it.  Our DD is a stylist and she noticed w/o me saying anything. The hair peptides serum is affordable.  DH uses it too. 

This concentrated formula is designed to support hair health so that it looks thicker, denser, fuller and healthier. The technologies present in this formula include REDENSYL™ complex (with Larix Europaea Wood Extract and Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract), Procapil™ peptide complex (with Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1), CAPIXYL™ peptide complex (with Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3 and Trifolium Pratense Flower Extract), BAICAPIL™ complex (with Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Triticum Vulgare Germ Extract and Glycine Soja Germ Extract), AnaGain™ (Pisum Sativum Extract) and High-Solubility Caffeine (1% net Caffeine by weight), in an ultra-lightweight, emollient base for efficient penetration. The total concentration of these technologies in the formula by weight is 21.15%.

(References are made to third-party trademarks in this description. REDENSYL™ is a trademark of Givaudan, Procapil™ is a trademark of Sederma Inc., CAPIXYL™ is a trademark of Lucas Meyer Cosmetics Canada Inc., BAICAPIL™ is a trademark of Provital, S.A., and AnaGain™ is a trademark of Mibelle Biochemistry. Neither DECIEM nor The Ordinary is affiliated with the trademark owners.)

Honored Contributor

I'm not on board with a scalp scrub.  My fingers/fingernails work fine and I don't have any scalp issues.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch ---thanks for the info. sounds very interesting and will check it out----Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3    I used a scalp scrub a couple of times until I read that it can weaken the hair at the roots so I stopped.  Instead I found a shampoo for the scalp that is working out just fine.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I've tried a few different ones over the past year or so.  I've used the Tweak'd by Nature one.  I've tried a couple others I've ordered thru Sephora.  One was an ACV rinse by a company I can't recall.  One was by Drunken Elephant I believe.  Did they do anything for my scalp or hair?  No remarkable results.

I like the coconut oil suggestion here.  Its an all natural product that is antibacterial/antifungal and good for the skin and body. 

In other words, I don't think one needs to waste $$ on a scalp product if not medically necessary.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I really only feel like I need extra cleaning in summer due to sweat, but especially in spring when I first start working in the yard and sweating.  I always get little bumps on my scalp that itch and scab over.  However, I really don't know that I need any more than my hard water clarifier that I use once a month before coloring.  I do have a set of those Tweak'd scalp scrubs I may try this year for that.  I will also only use it before coloring though since the clay will strip color.  

Standing in front of the sink partitioning my hair to put the scrub in is a total turn-off for me.  I tried the Tweak'd shampoo that you put in before wetting you hair and I hated it.