Valued Contributor

I Confess, I Switched From Brushes Back To Sponge Tip Eyeshadow Applicators

I can't put my finger on exactly when it was I started using brushes to put on my eyeshadow; I had always just used sponge tip applicators for decades. But one day I was putting on my eyeshadow and yet again I was dealing with trying to clean the fallout of grey/navy eyeshadow around my eyes so I didn't look like the walking dead, while completely messing up the job I had done with my concealer. It flashed through my mind that I never used to have this problem  - ever - when I just used sponge tip applicators. So I got me a bunch from Ulta, and I am as happy as a clam. 

Respected Contributor

Re: I Confess, I Switched From Brushes Back To Sponge Tip Eyeshadow Applicators

Can use sponge for appllication, but I don't think a sponge can blend properly.

Honored Contributor

I am a big fan of sponges for applying my tinted moisturizer.  Spreads it evenly and I do wash the sponge with soap after each use.    Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am a big fan of sponges for applying my tinted moisturizer.  Spreads it evenly and I do wash the sponge with soap after each use.    Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1, the OP is referring to those little sponge-tipped applicators that are sometimes packaged with powder eyeshadows.

My preference for applying eyeshadows is brushes. I use one for allover application, another for the crease/outer corner, and a blending brush.

Or I just use one that seems to do it all. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

So did I little over a month ago #1 reason I never got the color pay off I desired with brushes, no matter the brand eyeshadow or brushes I used. Plus your pallet is a complete mess, and I also think a lot of wasted product. I use a brush to blend.
Respected Contributor

@grammarqueen and @Westshopper

Yes! I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one! I had been using the sponge-tipped applicators that came with the eyeshadows for years until, after watching tons of YT videos and reading posts on here, I decided it was time to "graduate" to brushes because they just seemed so much more professional and sophisticated. Well, I had become quite adept at applying (and blending) my eyeshadows with those little applicators and people would compliment me on how nice my eye makeup looked but, again, I felt like I was using a sub-par tool and surely, all those ladies using brushes knew better. Well, I experienced that horrible fall-out (even though I tapped off the excess product) and the lack of color payoff, having to go back in again and again, trying to lay down more color!  I also noticed a lot more product seemed to be getting used up and it looked like someone had scraped a knife across the palettes, leaving "crumbs" all over it. This never happened when I used the sponge​ applicators! I realize there's a learning curve for everything but, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

ETA I do find it helpful using a brush to"blend everything together" at the end but I think this is just psychological because it really doesn't look any different when I do. Lol!

Trusted Contributor

I hear you. I still use the sponge applicators when I get one. Other times I'll use a brush. Often times I will do a one color eye so the sponge app is fine for that.

Frequent Contributor

It's funny I come across this thread today because I applied my eyeshadows with my fingers yesterday for the first time in years (before eyeshadow brushes became so popular) and I couldn't be happier with the result.

I was using a Korean eyeshadow palette that didn't have good color payoff and was having a hard time getting some colors to show up. Out of frustration, I started using my fingers instead and pressed the colors on, only using a blending brush at the end to blend the harsh lines out.  I loved the eye look so much I didn't want to remove my makeup until right before bedtime.

However, I must say that the tool you use depends on the eyeshadows being applied.  For highly pigmented shadows like Anastasia BH, brushes may work better.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the best applicator is the one your hands handle the best. For some that may be a brush-- for others it's a sponge. There's not really a my way is better than your way science to applying makeup.  Professional makeup artists use brushes a lot becuase they are standing at an angle which makes it work well. Even with advantage, if you've ever sat in a pro's chair their fingers will touch your face as often as the brush, and good heavens, they may even reach for a sponge.  Woman Happy  

Respected Contributor

@grammarqueen I alway put my eyeshadow on first. Some shadows have more fallout than others. I use shadow brushes. You will find that if you tap off excess then pat it on, then blend, you should not have a problem. If you prefer using a sponge, as some do, they usually take a blending brush to show no harsh lines.