Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Can't Find A Good Foundation

TARTE also has cool, neutral, and warm undertones. 26 shades.
Contributor

I have been using Dermablend Camo in cream. Covers well and not super heavy.

Valued Contributor

Lancome Teint Idole Ultra in shade 110 Ivoire (c).  Various formulations.  I like both the  24 hour makeup (liquid) and the makeup stick. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

I am right there with you.  I've been trying to find the right foundation for over 50 years and I have really good skin.

I won't even list all of the ones I've tried but there are dozens.   My current search is complicated by the fact that I won't buy a line that still does animal testing.  So, that let's out most of the major brands: Lancome, Estee Lauder, L'Oreal, Clinique, on and on.

I like coverage without shine, so that alone is hard + the right shade!  UGH.  

I wish you luck and will check here to see what you find.   I too am light.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like we have the same skin tone. I love the Doll 10 foundation from QVC. I use the light shade & it blends in perfectly. I have the last TSV on autodelivery. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't have a Sephora near me and the Ulta is not that great. I do have a Macy's so I could go there. As far as the MAC line, I have always shied away from it as I thought it was geared toward women younger than myself.

Esteemed Contributor

I highly recommend Urban Decay foundations. They have a fantastic selection of colors and I've found their foundations to be the best on the market (for my skin, that is). Urban Decay is sold at both Ulta and Sephora - in case you have one of those stores in your city. It's always best to try them in person if you can. Good luck in finding something wonderful that works for you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with finding a foundation that if it doesn't work out for you, you can return or exchange it.

It took me a while to find both a liquid and powder that looked good on me. You also have to keep in mind with the fluorescent lighting in many stores, what looks good in the store might be too dark outdoors in natural sunlight. 

Some brands will give samples to take home both in liquid and powder (if available).Just ask the salesclerk.

I like Lancôme Teint Idole and Dual Finish Foundation. Urban Decay's Naked Skin in liquid and powder form also look good on me. I found the drugstore brands -- the liquid ones either were limited in shade graduations or were with an orange cast once I went outside. Some foundations do oxidize when on one's skin so it may look nice initially but several hours later it may look too dark. I really liked the Almay liquid Truly Lasting Color foundation but after several hours oxidized on my skin and even though I thought I chose the best shade, that shade was slightly darker than I needed and the shade below it was too light! I do not have the time to mix together shades to create the 'perfect' shade for me.

Keep in mind that if you are outdoors in the summer months, you may need to go to a shade or two darker so your face matches well with your neck/jawline.

Another factor to consider is the brush or use of a sponge. Just remember to practice good sanitation and wash your brushes weekly as they can harbor bacteria over time. Unwashed brushes cause you to use more product to get the desired look and might lead to breakouts of your skin due to that bacteria on the brush. 

One more thing-- some people swear using a primer below the foundation so the foundation doesn't settle into fine lines and some can get away with just using moisturizer. Hope this helps in search of your HG foundation.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

I agree that Urban Decay foundation is wonderful. My mom (70) and I both discovered it through a sales associate one day at Ulta and loved it! Its

was so exciting to finally find a foundation with good coverage, yet sheer, if that makes sense. We use the Naked line. When I first got it, I received compliments from my co-workers for the first time! They all said the same thing...."your skin looks so pretty." I can tell you nobody has EVER said that to be before that day!! 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm fair skinned with cool undertones. I am on what seems to be a lifelong search for the right foundation. I have tried Bare Minerals, Mally. Laura Geller, IT Cosmetics, to name a few. I have used powder, liquid, cream, sticks, etc. It seems whatever color I choose it always looks muddy on me, kind of brown. I would love to find a foundation that matches my skin color, looks like my skin but better. Anyone have any suggestions for me?TIA

you should go to the store

Dept stores can help you or Sephora

in the drugstores Loreal categorizes one of their foundations with warm or cool etc, I think Maybelline might as well.

Mac would be the place to start,