Honored Contributor

I Can't Find A Good Foundation

I'm fair skinned with cool undertones. I am on what seems to be a lifelong search for the right foundation. I have tried Bare Minerals, Mally. Laura Geller, IT Cosmetics, to name a few. I have used powder, liquid, cream, sticks, etc. It seems whatever color I choose it always looks muddy on me, kind of brown. I would love to find a foundation that matches my skin color, looks like my skin but better. Anyone have any suggestions for me?TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: I Can't Find A Good Foundation

Sometimes going to the counter at a department store can be helpful for finding a color match for your skin. Sounds like you've tried a lot! I would go to a store and see what they can do for you @Jordan2.Woman Happy

Super Contributor

Have you tried Sephora or Ulta?   Last time I was in Sephora I was helped by a sales associate.  She tested different foundations on my face.   I ended up getting Urban Decay, Naked foundation.  I agree it can be hard finding a foundation you like.   Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm fair with cool undertones and I can relate to frustration trying to find a good color match.  Lately I've been pleased with Lancôme.  Previously I bought the 24h Teint Idole, but I found it too drying, and there was something in that formula that irritated my contact lenses.  So frustrated because I thought the color was perfect!  When I was last at Ulta, I explained my dilemma to the sales associate, and she introduced me to the Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Cushion.  I have been pleased with it in terms of color match, coverage, and wearability.  Plus, the rep gave me free samples of the eye cream, Visionnaire Yeux.  

If you have an Ulta or mall nearby that sells Lancôme, stop by for a color match and some samples just to make sure you like before you buy.  It is pricier than drugstore foundations, but for me it's worth it.  I can always scale back with other things.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

This can be a challenge. Lisa Eldridge, a professional makeup artist produced a series of videos on foundation. Below is a link to the first one, How to shop for the perfect foundation. I recommend watching all eight videos.

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/25667/how-to-shop-for-the-perfect-foundation/#.WIVDNvkrKUk

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, you are definitely someone who needs to step up to a counter where you can test multiple colors and formulas.  If you have not checked out M.A.C., that is one brand which seems to get it about not offering only one undertone in foundation shades.  They have several foundation formulas, but the colors have the same name in each one.  M.A.C. is reasonably priced too for a prestige brand.  You can still buy a foundation for less than $30, although their Pro line has slightly higher prices.  

Lancome is another brand which I feel serves those with cool undertones well. I would ditto that for L'Oreal, but I would not steer you to the drugstore because you can't test the color. That said some stores do have L'Oreal foundation testers, but this may only be set up in stores which want to dedicate the space to tester units.

I have never been able to get a decent color match in BareMinerals and my skin is yellow undertoned.  There's no great match for me in Urban Decay's Naked, which is popular for having great shades.  For that reason, if you haven't checked it out you should.  It's available at Ulta, Sephora, Macy's, Nordstrom. As for IT, Geller, Mally, and some other smaller brands, they simply don't offer enough shades. Their foundations are fine if you are fortunate enough to have a match in the line.  

Respected Contributor

But select a brand that will allow returns. I had Lancome help me with a color. After a couple of uses I was not happy so exchanged for shade lighter and now very happy.

Honored Contributor

I have pink undertones too.  I use bareMinerals but the one with color in it (not the clear one).  It has just enough to take away the pink undertones.  I use the Light color.  Then I use IT liquid (again Light).  It all blends perfectly on my face.

If you looked at me you'd never know I have such fair skin.  It's not what you'd call pretty skin because it's old, but the primer and liquid work together to even it out.

I keep saying when I get compliments about my age, it's smoke and mirrors.  If you look at a young person their skin doesn't have discoloration (not just wrinkles).  Once you find the right foundation (and primer) it evens out the skin color and makes it look the same all over.  That's all it is.  Darken the eyebrows (not black just brown), mascara and I line the inner rim but not necessary.

I don't know if you have @Jordan2 but try the bareMinerals with the color.  I couln't find it any longer at QVC (the one they sell isn't the same one I use, not the same color) and I had to go to Jet....

I've ordered many things from them.  Service is fast and lots of time it's free.  I sent a friend of mine some candies I couln't find anywhere.  She got them within 2 days.  I got my primer within 2 days.  Look them up.  Not posting the website because QVC says, "don't do it".

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you can't quite figure out your color. I would say go to a counter or Sephora. I had the hardest time because I thought my skin was darker than it was. Once I realized I am light with a neutral tones it is so easy. If you know for sure you are fair with cool undertones look for foundations that are labeled this way. TARTE rainforest of the see has what description all their foundations are. Other foundations like Clinique are hard to figure out without going to a counter.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem. I find Almay skin matching makeup light, Revlon Photoready  in Shell and Loreal true match Lumini ( Nude beige I think is the one I have)  works  perfect for me and only took me some 35 years of my life to find what works lol. at first the loreal was dark but after I put it on my face it worked great. No makeup lines. My goto is the Almay skin matching makeup for in the summer you tend to darked a tad even if your not out in the  sun much and it seems to look the most  natural in the summer months

Findation.com  is a good guide to find your match. You enter the makeup you used in the past that worked.  I used this guide  and went one shade lighter  and it worked.