Contributor

How to tone down brassy hair==help please

Hello Ladies,

I have dark hair that I recently had professionally highlighted. I love the results but I do see a few strands or sections of my hair are far too orange for my liking===

My hairdresser said she can tone it down next time.

Is there anything I can do on my own for those 2 or 3 sections that are just bugging me???

Respected Contributor

Re: How to tone down brassy hair==help please

Shimmer Lights shampoo by Clairol (purple looking shampoo) or check in Sally Beauty Supply. Personally, I'd make a point of asking my hairdresser again to do something, not when she feels ready.

Frequent Contributor

I lighten my own hair and when I need to tone down any brassiness once in a while, I use "brass banisher" from L'OREAL. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS! Got it at Walmart.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/22/2014 maestra said:

Shimmer Lights shampoo by Clairol (purple looking shampoo) or check in Sally Beauty Supply. Personally, I'd make a point of asking my hairdresser again to do something, not when she feels ready.

Me too. Shimmer lights and sally beauty. I have silver white hair and it is just what I need to keep the yellow out. I only go to a hairdresser for haircuts. No longer need to do the dye hair thing.

Respected Contributor

I use John Frieda Sheer Blonde Shampoo, they change the packaging constantly. So it's never called the same thing, but it keeps my hair from looking brassy. I have reddish brown hair & we have hard water & this helps the red from looking orange.

Esteemed Contributor

I would also ask her to fix right away. Your other option is you could do it yourself if you have to have it done like now. Clairol Root touch up works really well for me and I have done 'foils' on strands and it works well. If you go that route I would suggest buying a lighter brown than your base color as you just want to tone down the color. Carefully select the offending strands, place a foil strip under the strand and using the brush that comes in kit, apply generous amount of the root touch up on hair. I close the foil and use a plastic clip to hold in place. I wait 15 minutes, then remove foil and cleanse my hair. You could use any hair any brand of hair colorant...I just have had good results w the root touch up and since you need so little product...I thought it could work for you. Good luck.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I would have her fix it now! No reason you should've left if it looked like that.
Trusted Contributor

Joico also has a purple shampoo like Clairols'. It looks like almost all the salon brands have these non-brass cleanse and condition items. John Freda is really good too.
Respected Contributor

Sorry, I hit Submit before I was finished. AG has a purple shampoo and conditioner that's good, as is loreal ARTec in purple. I have heard clairol shimmerlights is good, but have never used it, that I recall. I'm a blonde who can go brassy, so I'm always using a purple shampoo and conditioner in my rotation. Good luck!
Valued Contributor

Try Fanciful temporay rinse White Minx in the extra variety. It's a bright pink plastic bottle. You can get it in any beauty supply store and some drugstores have the regular White Minx. It applies after a shampoo on a cotton ball where you need it, and rinses out with the next. For more color you can apply to dry hair too. It's harmless, and won't hurt or change your color job. It's always good to have on hand in case it happens again. Don't get the mousse one as that's semi permanent and you might get an off result.