Honored Contributor

I don't wear but oddly enough, I follow a gal on YouTube who does.

She does 'PAN' projects.

Pulling certain products she needs to use up as a challenge to

'reach pan' (ie bottom of the container).

She uses so much eyeshadow & lip glosses..and all I can think is
'it would take me years to 'reach pan'.

The stuff I have usually reaches 'trash can' before anything! 😆

Respected Contributor

Nail polish has a short shelf life.  Things such as eyeshadow and blush IMO can last infinitely. I have pallettes probably close to 10 years old.  They perform just as well as day 1.  Mascara you have to be careful with.  I limit it to around 3-4 months or when it seems dry.  Lip gloss is something I burn through pretty fast and it usually smells or feels weird when it's too old.  But yeah, old nail polish is just about the worst.  I painted my nails the night before vacation with an OPI color that had gotten too thick and had to trash the whole manicure, it just wouldn't dry right.

Honored Contributor

Its pretty darn easy to tell when a cosmetic item goes "bad."  Until then I totally disregard dates.  

Respected Contributor

The FDA has no listed expiration date for polish. Some colors go chalky and become hard to mix after a year, some much longer. Thermal ("mood") nail polishes start to lose their thermal responses around 6 months. Some polishes get thick and stringy after a few weeks (quick dry top coats) and some take years. I add thinner in each case and keep using it until I can't.

Honored Contributor

I don’t usually have anything that old. In the rare case of having more than one extra product I mark them #1 & #2 so I know which one to open first. Since retiring I don’t wear makeup every day so it lasts a lot longer before it gets used up. I don’t like to use things many months after opened so I end up throwing partially used products away. 

Honored Contributor

I have nail polishes that are very, very old.  They work fine.  Also eye shadows that are a few years old, foundations too.  Many items do not have expiration dates listed or they are in a "code."  The only make-up item I am particular about is replacing mascara every 3 months.  I do it with the change of seasons so I always remember.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of nail polishes, a salon I went to for years (for pedis) had the same nail polishes the entire time.  The manicurist would sometimes add some thinner to the bottle.  I bought a bottle of thinner but have only used it once and as I posted I have some really old nail polish.

Honored Contributor

I only use nail polish in the summer to paint my toenails, my nail polish separates after 3 months or so. Perfect formula is notorious for separating. I have Bare Minerals powder makeup for years, but liquid make up does not last more than a year without separating for me. Lip glosses start to get sticky and separate after a few months. Lipsticks get dry and funky after a year or so.

Esteemed Contributor

Pretty freaking old and I'm throwing most of it out, some old skincare too.  I just got some new things, the old has got to go!

Honored Contributor

I am embarrassed to admit that I have  2 eyeshadows that are over 10 years old and they are still good.  Foundation & lipstick you have to be careful with keeping for over a couple of years.  I would not put old foundation on my facial skin.  

kindness is strength