Trusted Contributor

Re: How long do you let your nails grow?

On 5/2/2014 Shelbelle said:

I love mine about 1/4 inch above the tip. I have always had nice natural nails, and like the ability to grow them. Short nails are just not my thing, but just a personal thing with me.

I keep mine natural as I'd have to be in the salon every week for a fill since they grow pretty fast. I went 10 years between actual manicures (with polish, clear or otherwise) and mostly kept my nails short, but now I can't imagine going back to that look.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

Yes, and playing an instrument is sexy, which you can't do with long nails. Anyway, heaven help us if we want men who date us for long nails or spoke heels. Please yourself, be healthy and confident...that's sexy!
On 5/3/2014 graycatsrule said:

I like them short. Shorter the better. I wear clear polish. Years ago I wore them longer, but it's not practical for my lifestyle.

Super Contributor

Since I started taking methylation vitamins, my nails grow like weeds and they are very strong, never break. Every two weeks i have to cut them down, right to the ends and within two weeks they are about 3/4" again. Clean, natural, well shaped long-ishnails are nice. That being said... I think the fake nails with the french manicure looks ugly and out dated.

The lady with the looong nails in the thread, omg, how does she wipe her b utt!

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/2/2014 Reva said:

My nails used to be long and I have been doing my own nails forever. But, when the trend started with short nails/dark nail polish, I cut mine down to just a smidge past my fingertips and I love that look now. Dark polish or light polish, I think they just look clean and very attractive. Now I look at long nails and don't like the look at all. I especially don't like the ends pointed which I noticed on Mally's nails recently. Reva

I do the same, can't stand long nails now, they seem dirty. Shorter nails look cleaner and well kept imo~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Irishrose136 said:

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} When this thread first got posted, I stayed away because I just KNEW it was gonna go south............probably faster than slower.............lol

I apparently was right!

*backs out quietly*

This was Just a simple question about nails on a beauty board? I don't see How a simple question like that can "go south ."
Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Ladybug837 said:
On 5/3/2014 Irishrose136 said:

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} When this thread first got posted, I stayed away because I just KNEW it was gonna go south............probably faster than slower.............lol

I apparently was right!

*backs out quietly*

This was Just a simple question about nails on a beauty board? I don't see How a simple question like that can "go south ."

Ladybug, perhaps we have different perspectives. I've seen other threads start with basically the same question and after a certain point connotations are subscribed to people based on their nail length. Are they sexy or not? Are they attractive or repulsive? And one of MY favorites - people with "long" nails are unhygienic. Not nails. People.

btw, I'm not aware if society has defined how many inches qualify as "short" and when someone has gone against the norm to have "longer" nails.

You have to read the tone. Nails aren't sexy or not, clean or not etc. PEOPLE are unsexy, unclean, unattractive. People are being defined based on a superficial criterion.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable comment: I won't eat anything "she" makes because her nails are long and therefore SHE has to be unclean.

Yeah, going south.

Respected Contributor

On 5/2/2014 just bee said:

This...

Not this:

I wonder if those things drag on the ground when she walks?

Super Contributor

On 5/2/2014 Feline Fine said:
On 5/2/2014 just bee said:

This...

Not this:

Or this:

Se*x must be interesting...

{#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.lol}

ETA: not to be gross or anything, but how the heck does she wipe herself when she goes to the bathroom? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Super Contributor

I have no choice but to keep my nails short (just slightly below my fingertips) because I play piano and long nails would just get in the way and make tapping sounds on the keys.

Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 FATCATinCT said:

Since I started taking methylation vitamins, my nails grow like weeds and they are very strong, never break. Every two weeks i have to cut them down, right to the ends and within two weeks they are about 3/4" again. Clean, natural, well shaped long-ishnails are nice. That being said... I think the fake nails with the french manicure looks ugly and out dated.

The lady with the looong nails in the thread, omg, how does she wipe her b utt!

I know exactly what you mean. My nails are the same way.