Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get those soft waves in your hair?

A friend asked me the same thing a few weeks ago.  I have wavy hair - and the guy who cuts my hair cuts it  dry to follow the waves.

Respected Contributor

There's a certain way you put some hair in the curling iron then wrap it around the outside of the barrel. YouTube is a good idea. I watched a stylist do this for my daughter's wedding party and that's what she did. Be warned though. She was flying but it didn't look too easy to do on yourself 😜

Frequent Contributor

I was thinking of trrying this olaplex - beachy wave perm:

http://www.allure.com/story/julianne-hough-beachy-waves-perm

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure what the "oleaplex" substance is, but it sounds like something they mix in with the permanent solution as well as the neutralizing solution, perhaps it buffers the damage the chemicals do during the process.  Given that the entire idea behind changing one's hair texture (either from curly to straight or straight to curly) in a permanent manner means that you have to break down the hair's protein structure and change it, then stop the process before you dissolve the hair shaft entirely, anything that makes that chemical process easier on the hair is probably a good thing, but might mean that the process is less effective, too. 

I know I got differences in how wavy or curly my hair is from my standard perm last month just based on how big the rollers were that the stylist wrapped my hair around, my guess is that, if you want more wave and less curl, you just use larger rollers.  I think that's the whole idea behind "body perms", too, just using larger rollers. 

Looking at that particular celebrities'  hair, I can get a very similar result by using the fine-toothed end of my WEN comb on my wet hair, and letting it air dry.  If I want a little more wave, I use the coarse end of the comb.  If I want actual curls, I just finger comb.  If I want the waves a little "piecier" I'll put a few pumps of WEN mousse in the hair.  So far my perm is proving very versatile and durable, and I'm thrilled at not having to heat style any more. 

Thanks for posting that link, Boomerdotty, the comments of those stylists confirms my feeling that I do NOT want to use a heat tool on this perm, I want it to last as long as possible.

Respected Contributor

@Boomerdotty wrote:

I was thinking of trrying this olaplex - beachy wave perm:

http://www.allure.com/story/julianne-hough-beachy-waves-perm

her hair just  looks like air-dried hair , with dry ends

Respected Contributor

use large rolers  or wet your hair and braid it and sleep on it

Trusted Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Watching Jennifer Nettles on Today's Take - I just got my hair cut to a blunt bob and want to know how to achieve those soft waves so many people have.  I have a curling wand but the curls come out more tight - can anyone explain how to get them softer and what tool and hair product you use to do it?  (I would love to get the beachwaver, but just can't afford it).  Any suggestions? 

Hi @hoosieroriginal,

If you have any plain old-fashioned metal hair clips, you can try using them to make pin curls, and go for a beachy wave that way.

It doesn't require the use of any curling iron, or anything like that.

I remember my Gramma using metal clips to make pin curls and soft waves in her hair. That was her usual style. Her hair always looked so soft and pretty. Smiley Happy

If you don't have any metal hair clips, you can also use bobby pins to make pin curls, and do it that way.

Here's a link to the Off-beat bride website that shows you how you can make pin curls with bobby pins:

http://offbeatbride.com/pincurl-tutorial/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What @SilleeMee said, plus alternate the direction of each 1-2" section you're curling.

Also, don't curl the ends, which is healthier for them anyway. So is using a ceramic tourmaline curling iron, with or without a clip.

Super Contributor

You don't need the beachwaver.  Just don't use the clip on your regular curling iron.  Hold it out and just manually wrap your hair around the barrel of the iron.  It works the same way.