Trusted Contributor
I have been devoting a lot of time daily to my skin care regime. Here is my question....you cleanse, tone, serum, day cream, eye cream, sunblock, prime and then apply makeup, do you reapply sunscreen or face cream throughout the day? I often want to put cream on in the middle of the day but don't want to mess up my makeup. I work 8-10 hour days.
Valued Contributor

Paula oftens says her products aren't miracle workers and no product can reverse aging. SPF is the best thing you can do for your skin, because it helps prevent further sun damage which is the biggest ager of skin  Genetics plays a small part but still isn't the biggest factor in aging. Sun is the biggest foe of the skin not genetics. 

Valued Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I can't wear sunscreen on my face, and it pains me. I so want to protect my face but everything I've tried either irritates my skin, leaves me greasy, or leaves a white cast.

Have acne prone easily irritated skin.  Don't know if you have tried it or not, but City Block from Clinque works great for my skin, a doctor recommended it to me. It also has a very slight tint so it doens't give you a white effect. Also use it as my main primer. Its the only sunblock I've found that doens't break me out. 

Respected Contributor
@segrl21 I'll check it out. I'll have to try a swatch because of the tint. I'm fair skinned and to its tend to look orangey on me.
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3

The CeraVe that I use has an SPF of 30. The AM Facial Moisturizer.

Hope that helps.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

This topic fascinates & engages me -- I don't want to debate with anyone here; however at my age and level of experience (65+) I can contribute to the conversation.  

Re: Genetics & Skin:  It's widely accepted that our genetic makeup determines much of our inside and outside appearances.

I have seen evidence of this influence in my own living and ancestral family; without going into detail here I just know that our genes play more than a 'minor' role in our quality of hair, skin, nails, eyes, etc.

Re: Health Habits' Influence:  As with our genetic makeup our diet and overall lifestyle choices heavily affect the quality of our skin, hair, & ALL of our body's inner and outer workings.  I have proof in my own life and confirmation throughout scientific and medical research. 

Re: Value of Topical Skincare Products:  I'm convinced beyond any doubt that one can improve one's skin but only to the degree that the other factors in our lives are directed in the same path of 'cleaning up, detoxifying, avoidance, maintenance'.

For instance -- if I bake my skin w/o protection for 30 years I cannot expect any topical treatment to reverse all the damage. I've done that and paid the price.  If I smoke, drink alcohol, eat 'bad' food vs. clean organic foods and water, I have no business placing high expectations on ANY topical product to reverse the effects of my unhealthy life choices.

Your doctor will tell you they first assess your general health by instantly observing your appearance (skin quality & color, eye clarity, etc. tell them more than we know).  

I am happy to say that my diligent skincare as prescribed by a smart dermatologist over 10 years ago has corrected sun & lifestyle damage and improved my skin health dramatically -- in fact I look younger now than 15 years ago.  I've also permanently improved my diet and habits which undoubtedly contributed to my 'de-ageing'.  It's really true that 'youth is wasted on the Young'! I never used sunblock in the California sun until I was over 50 -- what a mistake.

If you are not getting the results you expect from your well-planned skincare you must take stock of everything in your life which affects your skin health & appearance.  Stop smoking! Cut down on alcohol! Take your vitamins!  Drink your 8-10 glasses of CLEAN pure water daily! Avoid chlorinated water both internally and externally -- IT'S A POISON!  Stay regular; exercise at what you like; practice relaxation; get enough sleep; avoid all environmental assaults both indoors and outdoors; reduce stress; give & receive Love especially to yourself; finally, pay attention to everything you put in your mouth because it ALL becomes a part of your body for good or bad.

This is a very Holistic point of view which has made itself evident to me and proven to be true.  So, ladies, keep up the good skincare but honestly it's only one piece of the solution; if you want REAL & lasting improvement in your overall looks you must examine your life's choices and habits to find more ways you can achieve and maintain your natural Beauty. 

I have 2 younger sisters who share a similar genetic profile -- however they smoke, drink and eat 'junk' food.  People who meet us assume that I'm the youngest of the three and this convinced me that before genetics we have control over everything else which affect our looks.  I resent the Beauty industry's decades-long propaganda aimed at convincing women that their 'revolutionary magical proven' products WILL alone 'fix' all of our skin problems and reverse the natural aging process.  Skincare has its role but it's not everything so let's stop giving all these companies so much credit!