Honored Contributor

I bought the Tarte self tanner last year.  I never used it because I can't ever seem to get my knees, ankles and elbows to look natural.  I also end up with streaks, but I could probaly work that out.  What is the trick to getting those places to look natural?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

You might already know this, but I've always heard to apply moisturizer to your elbows, knees, ankles, and sometimes the tops of your hands, before applying your self tanner.  I've heard it helps those areas to not absorb as much of the self tanner, and give a more natural look. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Re: How To Use Self Tanner

[ Edited ]

I apply moisturizer all over - not just the knees and elbows.  Then let it completely absorb.   I find it helps keep the streaks down.

Honored Contributor

As already mentioned, I do use lotion on knees, elbows, and ankles.  

I also put lotion on my hands, feet (esp the cuticles), heels and hands.

I then put on disposable non laytes gloves (Walmart pharmacy) and I rub in CIRCLES.  

Years ago they showed QT which was the origonal and they did put it on in lines up and down the leg.  It will cause streaking.  Be sure to rub circles all over.

I do my hands with the leftover on one glove, wave that hand a second or two, then the other hand with the reverse glove that I barely slip my hand into.

Respected Contributor

I, also, just read on Allure's website that if you end up with a really noticeable streak, try rubbing half of a lemon over the area for a couple of minutes, and then use a damp cloth to lightly buff the area.  

Sometimes my hands get a little streaky if I'm rushing when applying a self tanner at night, but usually the next day I can use a washcloth to kind of exfoliate off some of the color.  The lemon juice probably helps more.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I used Jergens Natural Glow for the first time a few days ago.  I spent a lot of time on my arms, smoothing and smoothing until it absorbed.  My legs I just slapped on a quick coat. Thank goodness I wear jeans most of the time because my legs are a streaked mess, especially down on the front of my ankles.  My arms are fine, so my advice is don't use too much at once and take some time. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for the tips everyone.  I will use moisturizer, apply in circles and gloves.  The Tarte self tanner came with a glove.  Will that work, or do I need to get the disposable gloves at the pharmacy like @ECBG suggested?

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

Thank you so much for the tips everyone.  I will use moisturizer, apply in circles and gloves.  The Tarte self tanner came with a glove.  Will that work, or do I need to get the disposable gloves at the pharmacy like @ECBG suggested?

@NickNack  I like using the disposable gloves, but it may just be a personal preference.  I tried the Tarte self tanner glove a year or so ago, and from what I remember I thought I got better results when I used the disposable gloves from the drugstore.  Again, it just may be a personal preference.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Thank you @I like celery.  I was planning on going to the grocery store tomorrow anyway.  I'll just go to Walmart instead of where I usually go and stop by the pharmacy!

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  Hope you get just the "right" self-tan !  Smiley Happy 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥