Respected Contributor

How Much Would You Pay For A Haircut

My hairdresser went up  in her prices from $22.00 for a wash haircut  and blowdry to $32.00 I do like her so I don't mind, but a new hairsalon just opened in my area and the reviews are all soo good and the cuts do look good on their facebook page but I was shocked to see a wash haircut and dry was $65.00. Is this the normal pricing now? Or are they just super expensive? I don't know if I would ever consider this price.

Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Would You Pay For A Haircut

That seems really high, especially if they expect a tip on top of it! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

$20 with tip. I don't go to a  fancy salon. (Supercuts type of place)

Respected Contributor

I went to one of those walk-in places in the mall and asked for a trim just at the nape of my neck.  It took the woman all of 10 minutes, she took off about 1/8 of an inch.  I was charged $35.  It's ridiculous.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Regular Contributor

Dang that's cheap. When I had long hair I would normally spend over $200. Now that I had it cut short it's only $75. 

What kind of place are you going to? is it like a Hair Cuttery or something like that?

Esteemed Contributor

I pay $70 for a haircut and blow-dry  

Honored Contributor

I live in a very small town and pay $15 for a haircut. I tip her $5. Walking out the door for $20 is a steal as far as I'm concerned. 

I live fairly close to a large town and the rates average around $35-65, depending upon length of hair. 

A couple of friends go to a barber and sit amongst the guys. They have a blast because the guys feel like they have to watch their language when they arrive! But the haircut is less than what they would pay in a salon and that's why they do it.

Respected Contributor

Cuddlesmama, I live in a small town now, so prices are not extremely high here compared to when I lived in the city. My hairistylist charges $27. Before I started with her, I went to a place that charged in the low $20's, but it was one of those 15 minute hairstyle places. I didn't like the way she cut my hair, so I changed stylists. My current stylist takes about 45 minutes to do my hair. She does a great job.

It's hard to find a stylist who you are happy with. If you are happy with your stylist, I would pay the extra and stick with her. $32 is still quite low for a haircut and blow dry, even though a $10 jump all at once is a pretty hefty increase.

In some hair salons, stylists charge according to their experience level. Those salons have different titles for the stylists...like designer, master designer, etc. Maybe your stylist received a promotion to a higher level like that. Who knows? Hair is such an important item to women, I would just be thankful that I have found a stylist who is a keeper. Good luck!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I go to a regular nice hair  salon the owner does my hair. She has 4 other hair stylists working for her. She has said business isn't what it used to be women aren't getting their hair  done like they used to is what she said to me.

Honored Contributor

Under $50 is really cheap.
I am in suburban NYC, Westchester to be specific

One of the stylists at my local salon works in Bumble and Bumble in NYC, and up here two days a week, his work is amazing and his prices reflect that. I paid $80 for my last hair cut and he suggests cuts every 8-10 weeks

@CaryH wrote:

Dang that's cheap. When I had long hair I would normally spend over $200. Now that I had it cut short it's only $75. 

What kind of place are you going to? is it like a Hair Cuttery or something like that?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.