Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday Tipping At The Salon

I don't expect my hairstylist to give me a gift at x-mas but I see nothing wrong with not giving them anything either.

It's a personal choice whether one wants to give gifts to everyone including hairstylists, nail tech, mail carrier, trash collector, UPS delivery person, etc.

Honored Contributor

I only go to my stylist twice a year because he is in a different state and my hair is so healthy I don't need to go anymore than that. It costs me $115 for a trim and highlight touchups (only roots, my highlights never fade so I only need the roots done). He gets a $35 tip every time. I don't really do any more if I happen to go close to the Holidays but on occasion I've brought a bottle of wine that we've popped open while I was getting my hair done and we had a glass of wine together. He is an amazing chef so around the holidays he brings in wonderful appetizers and sweets he's made for his customers. yum!

Honored Contributor

Wow, I'm glad I go to Supercuts where I always get a great haircut for under $15.  Tipping someone $20 to do your hair???  How much does it cost?  Based on a 15-20% tip?  Hundreds of dollars?  Not my priority certainly!

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

Wow, I'm glad I go to Supercuts where I always get a great haircut for under $15.  Tipping someone $20 to do your hair???  How much does it cost?  Based on a 15-20% tip?  Hundreds of dollars?  Not my priority certainly!

I never go just for a haircut.  I get my hair cut when I have a color service performed.  That is why my tip is $20.00+.    

Trusted Contributor

I have a standing appointment every 5 weeks and tip 20%+ on a hefty bill for color and cut in a high end salon.  My stylist also happens to own the business.  I know many say you don't tip the owner but I always have.  I do not do anything special over the holiday.

I do give generously to my cleaning lady, the mailman, the people who pick up the garbage,  and others who never get tips except during the holidays.  Why would I tip my hairdresser who get tips every time I go?

As someone who has clients and always gives holiday gifts as a way of thanking them for their business, I would agree with others who said that if anyone should get the gift, it should be the client.  Just my opinion, of course, but I have no intention of changing my policy.

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@castlenv wrote:

I never go just for a haircut.  I get my hair cut when I have a color service performed.  That is why my tip is $20.00+.    

Same in my case, LipstickDiva. 

@kaydee50 It is expensive but it is something I would not go without and is worth every penny. 

We all have different priorities and  varying disposable incomes, expenses, etc, so certainly not a surprise that what may seem like a lot of money to one person is totally acceptable to someone else.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I think my mother will give her stylist (who is the owner) $25 on top of the $20 for the services. As for the shampoo woman I think she'll just give $10 plus the $5 to just one of the women. 

Honored Contributor

Of course it's optional but I've always read a Christmas tip should be the cost of the service you usually have done.  Unfortunately my salon is $$$$$$ so a $100 Christmas tip is a bargain for me.

Honored Contributor

I would never tip my stylist the price of one of my cut/colors. That's $150.00(before I tip).  I usually spend about $30 on her--some nice candle or a gift of some form.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

Since my services are $150 before tip--4-5  times a year--I tip $30.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"