Super Contributor

i have dark brown hair and have been coloring my hair at home with semi permanent color. The ends of my hair are getting a bit dark. I was talking to my stylist about highlights and she suggested I come in and have my roots colored and then highlights put in. She said I could use demi or permanent color for base. I understand the reasoning of just coloring roots as my hair is looking dark however I am concerned that since it's not the same product as I've been using maybe I should get the color all over as my first time, and then maintain roots only. Also my color is a bit faded and blah, so do I really want to highlight with blah brown as my base? Also thoughts on Demi vs permanent color, who one be better for me to add in the highlights?. I have thin, fine straight hair. Any advise, words of wisdom? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Valued Contributor

Re: Highlights- advise please

I get my hair colored the way your stylist suggested...highlights, and then the next time for color I get the roots done (to take care of some gray), and then the next time I need color the highlights. My hair is fine and dark brown and I love the way it turns out. I would suggest trying what your stylist suggested. Good luck.

Super Contributor

Hi Day1128, thanks for the reply! I didn't do a very good job explaining my question. The plan would be roots and highlights the fist time, the alternating roots one visit  highlights next or as needed. What I m unsure of is if I have my brand of semi permanent on my hair and changing to her brand should I do an all over color the fist time with highlights vs only roots (with a different type hair dye )and highlights the first time.  Do you use permanent or demi for your overall haircolor? How long do you go between touch ups? Thanks for the help!

Contributor

Hi Sherrie, I too just switched to having my color professionally done.  I was experiencing the same thing with the ends being darker from trying to do it myself.  The first visit she did the roots and at the end ran it through the rest for five minutes. The last two times I've gone its been roots only and I go every 5 weeks. Going to do highlights in the spring so I'm not much help with that part of your question.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to do my own color until gray started in at my temples. The ends were too light.  My hairstylist did exactly what yours wants to do...it all blended in. We alternated between roots and highlights every 4 weeks...but then I am blonde.

Honored Contributor

Do you trust your stylist? If you do, go in again, tell her your concerns and ask for her thoughts. I just did this a few weeks back myself. I lost all my hair due to chemo, and waited until now, 3 years later, to do some color. My hair came back this horrid mousey, brown- grey, that was really aging and drab----but didn't want to have any of that mouse hair grow out at the roots, and didn't want to have to go bck every few weeks for touch ups, so I got an ashy blond along with touches of auburn brown and then a med brown low light. It looks FABULOUS!!! Will go back in June for a re do if needed. I love my hair girl!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

Hi Day1128, thanks for the reply! I didn't do a very good job explaining my question. The plan would be roots and highlights the fist time, the alternating roots one visit  highlights next or as needed. What I m unsure of is if I have my brand of semi permanent on my hair and changing to her brand should I do an all over color the fist time with highlights vs only roots (with a different type hair dye )and highlights the first time.  Do you use permanent or demi for your overall haircolor? How long do you go between touch ups? Thanks for the help!

Unless you believe that your home hair color is some unique or proprietary color that could never be matched, go with it.    The good thing about highlighted hair is that the different colors are very forgiving.   All dark hair can be very aging on women.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

what she is suggesting is a beautiful more natural looking way to go. I would not be concerned with the interaction as your stylist clearly isn't. Be warned though that a highlight is more expensive than all over color

Valued Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

I use the permanent for all over hair color. It's actually done more to the roots, so my highlights still show. I don't have a lot of gray, but it is there and I like the darker look for my hair. I get the roots done, then go about two haircuts (7 weeks between each cut), then the highlights, two more haircuts, then the roots again. 

Maybe all over color the first time with highlights for you, to get on the path of what you want. Your hairdresser may be able to give you the best info.

I only had highlights done for years (about every third haircut), then there was a little more gray, so I started getting the root color in place of one of the highlights. After you get in this routine, you'll be able to tell how often you should get the highlights/roots done. I could probably get my color done more often, but $$$ are also a consideration.

Honored Contributor

I only use permanent hair color. Why wouldn't you? It would cost me a mint to keep going into my stylist to color my hair! Now? I go get touch ups about every 2 months, thats enough for me.

"Pure Michigan"