Super Contributor

I guess a bit of glow is nice, but I think the trend of a having a white streak across the cheeks is going to "carbon date" photos taken this year and last. And really glowy makeup does not seem as attractive to me as matte.

I am not meant to live in this era. 

Smiley Sad

Super Contributor

Re: Highlighter. Not a fan...

[ Edited ]

@KateChopin I guess the trend I don't get and never bought into is the very bright and conspicuous highlighted dots placed by cosmetic vendors on QVC and elsewhere on the inner corners of the eyes.  So many times I've seen Mally, Laura Geller, reps from Bare Minerals and many others apply these glowing dots and exclaim how beautifully these products open up the eye area. The majority of the time I think how ridiculous this makes the models look, but the show host always oohs and aahs and gasps how gorgeous they look. No, they look like very attractive women with stupid, glowing highlighter in their inner eye corners!

A little subtle highlighting MAYBE and well blended but not how it's usually applied during these presentations.

Hope this trend is quickly on its way out.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChazzyLady wrote:

@KateChopin I guess the trend I don't get and never bought into is the very bright and conspicuous highlighted dots placed by cosmetic vendors on QVC and elsewhere on the inner corners of the eyes.  So many times I've seen Mally, Laura Geller, reps from Bare Minerals and many others apply these glowing dots and exclaim how beautifully these products open up the eye area. The majority of the time I think how ridiculous this makes the models look, but the show host always oohs and aahs and gasps how gorgeous they look. No, they look like very attractive women with stupid, glowing highlighter in their inner eye corners!

A little subtle highlighting MAYBE and well blended but not how it's usually applied during these presentations.

Hope this trend is quickly on its way out.

Combine those white glowing eye corners with the heavy black racoon lined eyes and brown contour slashes down the cheeks and it gets downright ghoulish.

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of glittery makeup in any form.I was taught that makeup should look like you don't actually have any mu on and that is my look. It is far from natural for people to glow. I can't wait for this trend to go away.

Esteemed Contributor

I can spot a woman with highlighter on a mile away!  I agree, I don't like this neon, glow-in-the-dark trend in makeup.

Brown contouring, nude lipstick, black eye shadow, fake tans, highlighting....... not a good look on anybody.  Just my opinion..............

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am not a fan of glittery makeup in any form.I was taught that makeup should look like you don't actually have any mu on and that is my look. It is far from natural for people to glow. I can't wait for this trend to go away.

Exactly !!

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking of an occasion when I had to perform in public, and for some ridiculous reason, I thought I'd try what I'd purchased as the lightest shade of highlighter in some VERY good makeup line, maybe Bare Minerals, but MANY years ago.

I dusted some onto chin, hollows of cheeks, forehead, under throat, and peeked into my makeup mirror, enjoyed a hearty laugh, and washed my face.

I would not insult ANYONE in any cultural or geopolitical by saying I looked as though I were wearing "war paint", but the experience taught me that on chalk white skin, the term "highlight" is, at very least, subjective.

I've never found/used anything to "contour" that worked even a little. Definitely agree with everyone else who finds this idea problematic.........

Honored Contributor

Some people are getting a little carried away with the highlighter these days.

Honored Contributor

I like highlighter, but it's certainly not a white streak across my face. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I can spot a woman with highlighter on a mile away!  I agree, I don't like this neon, glow-in-the-dark trend in makeup.

Brown contouring, nude lipstick, black eye shadow, fake tans, highlighting....... not a good look on anybody.  Just my opinion..............

He he@tototwo,  I'm just waiting for the day I bump into someone doing everything you mentioned ALL AT ONCE!!!  Talk about awkward.  Woman LOL