Esteemed Contributor

Re: High End Lipstick: Any Recs? Guerlaine, Chanel, YSL, Dior, Tom Ford, Burberry...

For over30 years I've worn mostly Dior, with a very special Chanel red thrown in. However, about 5 years ago, my stylist steered me toward MAC, when we were talking about dry lips, so I'm now sold on their Prep & Prime Lips followed by LongWear Lipstick. My lips no longer peal and the MAC stays on all day.

Another exception for me is color, though. Go to Nordstrom or another high end store and take a look, a really good look at the colors and have some demoed on you. It's one thing looking at the colors just sitting there, but quite another seeing the color on your lips!

Have fun and good luck!

Super Contributor

Re: High End Lipstick: Any Recs? Guerlaine, Chanel, YSL, Dior, Tom Ford, Burberry...

On 3/30/2014 D Oro said:
On 3/30/2014 serenity4ever said:
On 3/30/2014 maestra said:

Chanel s the best!

I agree and today I went to the Chanel counter and bought myself a RED lipstick. I had given up wearing them but when I tried their red it was absolutely perfect with their lovely liner to match.

There is nothing quite so elegant as Chanel lipsticks. They stay on and they wear well without staining. I use nothing else now but Chanel. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Which red did you buy?

Hi D Oro.Smile I bought Rouge Allure #104, Passion. I purchased the Le Crayon Levres Contour Precision Lip liner in #57 Rouge Profond to match.

Super Contributor

On 3/30/2014 D Oro said:

Chanel s the best!

I agree and today I went to the Chanel counter and bought myself a RED lipstick. I had given up wearing them but when I tried their red it was absolutely perfect with their lovely liner to match.

There is nothing quite so elegant as Chanel lipsticks. They stay on and they wear well without staining. I use nothing else now but Chanel. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Which red did you buy?

Hi D Oro.Smile I bought Rouge Allure #104, Passion. I purchased the Le Crayon Levres Contour Precision Lip liner in #57 Rouge Profond to match.

That is a great red! I love the case on the Rouge Allure too. My favorite red of all time was a Limited Edition and has been long discontinued. It is the Chanel Premier Rouge First Red Lipstick. It is supposed to be the first red that Coco Chanel first introduced in 1924. It was reformulated and brought back as a LE in 2003.
Respected Contributor

Chanel OR Dior... can't go wrong with either.

Valued Contributor

I love Chanel and Lancome. And Dior Addict. I have never spent more than $35 on a lipstick but that's not saying I wouldn't. I find that the swatches seen on line are not real accurate as to what the color is. But many sites have free shipping and returns so I'd order several and return the ones that don't work. Fortunately, I can find most high end lipsticks in my area, but YSL and Tom Ford would have to be on line purchases. Happy Birthday, and just make sure you love the color you get or return it!!

Respected Contributor

I prefer Chanel or Dior. Dior 667 Avenue is one of my favorite shades of all time -- and that is saying a LOT from a lipstick junkie like me!!
Super Contributor

Tom Ford

Super Contributor

On 3/30/2014 D Oro said:
On 3/30/2014 D Oro said:

Chanel s the best!

Which red did you buy?

That is a great red! I love the case on the Rouge Allure too. My favorite red of all time was a Limited Edition and has been long discontinued. It is the Chanel Premier Rouge First Red Lipstick. It is supposed to be the first red that Coco Chanel first introduced in 1924. It was reformulated and brought back as a LE in 2003.

I hope they consider bringing it back... I hate when I fall in love with a pretty color and they stop making it...{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Super Contributor

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! I appreciate the help!

Super Contributor

All of those you mentioned are wonderful. Find a color you love and know if you want a certain formula like high pigment or sheer, long wearing, hydrating since brand you mentioned has several formulations. Knowing the formula you want will help narrow it down. If you find a few brands that have a great color and formula you want, go for the one that will make you feel the most special when you pull it out of your purse to apply. For instance for me, I don't care about long wearing because I love applying lipstick and don't mind doing it. On the other hand, I don't like the sheer lines or those that are very hydrating, I don't like that slick feeling. But if I find a perfect color, all my own rules fly out the window!

The other thing about high end lipstick, similar to low end but I think even more so in high end, they have distinct scents and flavors. They are not flavors, they are mostly perfume type scents. I have a hard time with Chanel and their rose scent. Most others love it. I also have issues with YSL to the point that I have returned them and have not bought any more. Kills me since I love that packaging and formula.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!