Frequent Contributor

Henna to cover stubborn white hairs - 2nd update

In October I stopped dying my hair due to increasing allergic reactions, but being only 40 I did not want to go salt and pepper toned. In November I started coloring my hair with BAQ henna, cassia and indigo and it is a GORGEOUS deep auburn with complete white hair coverage. The white hairs are covered even better than when I was using hair dye. When I would dye my hair I was unable to find a brand that wouldn't leave some of my ultra stubborn white hairs STILL WHITE and sticking up straight on top of my head. Now with the henna the white hairs are blended in as auburn highlights. I have been able to start growing my hair out for the first time in 15 years because my hair doesn't feel horrible, it is now super shiny, smooth and healthy. This week I got compliments from two people that my hair looked really nice, one co-worker even complimented me twice. I haven't had a compliment on my hair in over 20 years, which coincidentally is when I started dying my hair.

I actually enjoy the henna process more than the dying process, but it is time consuming. This is what works best for me: I mix equal amounts of red raj henna (high lawsone content henna from henna sooq) with cassia and about a tablespoon of amla with a chamomile tea I brew and let cool down so it's not boiling. Let the color release by letting it sit for 2-4 hours. You can apply to your entire head, but now I only apply it to my new growth. I wrap my head in saran wrap and wear a disposable shower cap. You can leave it on for 2-4 hours, but I actually have found it easiest to just leave it on overnight and just sleep with a towel on my pillow. In the morning I rinse it out and my hair is even healthier and shinier each time I do a new treatment! Henna is also good for dandruff and itchy scalps. Be careful to purchase body art quality henna as cheap hennas can contain bad ingredients such as metallic salts.

Anyway if you're interested in reading more about it two sites that have been helpful are hennaforhair or hennasooq. Before I started the henna journey I asked about it here and several people advised me not to because I had been dying my hair. I'm glad I gave it a try because I have gorgeous hair, no more itchy scalp and I'm not using harmful PPD containing dyes to bad effect!