Trusted Contributor

Try no more gray, works great! It's an additive you add to the hair dye.

Super Contributor

My hair is really dark. Want to go lighter but not sure if a light color will cover the dark?

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

I usually dye my hair darker to cover grey but it always seems that the grey part is lighter then the rest of my hair. I have med brown hair with a lot of grey. 

I want to go lighter and do it at home. I'm not sure what color to pick and if it will cover the grey. I was using the 10 minute hair color and for the most part it was good just want my entire hair to match. 

Any tips rips would be great!

@Beautiful life

Rather than doing all your hair, why not just color the roots?   After a while all that coloring makes the hair more porous, and it can be hard to get the whole head all the same color. 

Or better yet .... go to a professional have them color your hair.   There's a lot of flaws and things a woman can camoflage, but a bad color job can't be hidden unless you walk around with a hat on all the time.

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life

It will, but you really should get that type of coloring done at a salon.

Esteemed Contributor

I have long hair and my roots are gray resistant. Two shampoos and my roots are visible! So I do frequent root touch-ups. I use a medium brown shade as it's only the roots I'm interested in coloring. I don't pull the color through the rest of my hair at all. There's always going to be overlapping anyway when you color the roots.

Pull the color through the rest of your hair that's already colored can result in hair color that is too dark and that may be one reason that the roots don't match the rest of your hair. Try a light brown shade and just do the roots and leave the color on the roots longer if your hair is gray resistant and don't pull the color through the rest of your hair.

If you want to have an overall lighter hair color, see a hair dresser at a salon as removing hair color with kits like Color Oops can be a messy and daunting task as the dye is removed but leaves your hair orange and then you have to recolor it with a lighter brown or dark blonde shade but it's tricky as to the timing as those color removers can damage your hair and leave them porous feeling.

Honored Contributor

Thats one luxury I now give myself after a lifetime of always coloring my hair myself. I would rather go to a salon to have my hair colored. They know what they are doing and my gray doesn't ever show after having it professionally done!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I had chemo for 5 months so lost all my medium brown hair. It grew back but now it is about 35% grey with most of it at my temples and then salt and pepper everywhere else. It does look kind of nice  BUT..............it made me look and feel much older than my 61 years. My wonderful hair dresser suggested highlighting with an ashy color blond that will blend into the grey as it grows out and then she put in a soft mahogany color high light in a few places. OMG does it look great.!!!! Had it done in Jan and today it still looks fabulous. Was worth every penny and after going thru breast cancer, I deserve to feel fabulous!!!

I also believe that your haircolor needs to contain ammonia to penetrate the grey and that usually means a permanent color. Maybe go to your hair person for a consult. I don't want to have to worry about coloring my hair every few weeks and I did not want that horrible stripe of grey from grow out after 6 weeks. I may have to go back at 6 months, but I can handle every 6 months I think.

Super Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

Perfect 10 Clairol that's what I was using. I did keep it on longer on the grey hair. 

Thanks everyone!  I might try a different brand

Try the Clairol Age Defy...very similar to Clairol Perfect 10, but you leave it on longer and it has excellent gray coverage.  I can't help with going lighter, though...I think if you're trying to go more than a shade lighter you should consider a salon if you can afford it.  Good luck!

Oh, if you try Age Defy, don't put the gel you use in the first step on your roots...the directions are unclear, but that gel is intended for hair that's aleady colored so that it doesn't grab as much dye as your roots and you don't get banding.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If you are over 90% grey good luck. I finally gave up coloring about three years ago. My hair is silver white 100%. I fought it for years... the mess, every couple of weeks trying to cover my skunk white streak of grow in.  I have white hair... no coloring is going to mask that without a headache. I feel FREE AT LAST.

You could easily go blond, @SeaMaiden. 8)

Super Contributor

I have grey mostly the temple areas and some across the top of my head. Not thick but it's there. 

My hairdresser does the low lights on my hair with just a few highlights and it looks good. People have said that they can't even tell that I have grey hair.