Honored Contributor

Have You Used Essie Gel Nails?

Love the high shine  Essie Gel Nails says they can provide.  Fourteen days of a great manicure! 

Does anyone know about this product and Essie Gel setter that can be used with any of their products?

I've always used OPI and thought they had the highest quality product.

I hate to do nails and don't want to have them done since I can do them and not be inconvenienced.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Used Essie Gel Nails?

I get bored with my nail color after a week, so I re-do them every Saturday. I like the Sally Hanson Miracle Gel (& setting top coat).  It lasts very well for the week, and removes just like regular polish.  I used to use OPI, and have quite a collection, but it would always chip on me right away.. The Sally doesn't do that.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I have not used the new Gel Couture colors, but they are beautiful.

I do have and use the Essie Gel Setter top coat. It dries quickly and the shine lasts for days, but I don't find it wears any longer than my Seche Vite top coat.

I have gotten 10+ days of wear from the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel colors and top coat, but that top coat isn't very shiny and is very thin. I don't feel like it protects my nails and it doesn't look like a gel finish. Seche Vite and the Essie Gel Setter are both thick and shiny and look like a gel finish.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have any direct experience. I enjoy changing my polish ever couple of days, so long wear isn't a selling point for me.

That said, from comments I've read regarding gel-like polishes in general indicate that length of wear varies just as with traditional polish. Some of it (obviously) depends on your manicuring skill. But it also depends on how your body chemistry interacts with the base coat, polish and top coat combination you use.

I've always considered OPI a high quality polish also. But I know for some it chips quickly. From what I've read, Essie seems to have had a mixed reputation over the years. Lately I seem to be reading a lot more positive comments about the brand in general. Maybe view a few of the reviews on youtube for the gel-like polishes? Or buy a single color and the top coat and give it a try (following the instructions is important since the longevity of the gel-like polishes is tied to the chemical reactions that occur in these type products)?

Regular Contributor

I have used a couple of the lighter colors and they lasted well. I am very hard on my nails so nothing lasts more than 4 or 5 days on me, but I was happy with the Essie gels. I also like Sally Hansen's Miracle Gel....