Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had the SNS dip manicure?

@Day1128
It is a "powder dip" manicure, your nails are filed and buffed, and in my case filled. Then an adhesive is put on your nails, they are then dipped in a powder which is the color, this process is repeated once more, then the color is sealed. When you walk out of the salon your nails are dry and perfect

@Day1128 wrote:

What is the SNS manicure?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@QVC mod
I posted a reply this moring about the process and it seems to be lost in the middle of this thread, hmm 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Do I understand correctly, this is a type of artifical nails but it lighter than acrylics and the color goes all the way thru the nail so it lasts a long time? basically, until it grows out?

Honored Contributor

It is a nail polish system not an artifical nail, I posted info on the process this moring but it seems to be lost in the middle of the thread

@151949 wrote:

Do I understand correctly, this is a type of artifical nails but it lighter than acrylics and the color goes all the way thru the nail so it lasts a long time? basically, until it grows out?

Honored Contributor

I fixed my own problem - somehow my sorting got skewed, yet I did nothing to change it, curious

@I am still oxox wrote:

@QVC mod
I posted a reply this moring about the process and it seems to be lost in the middle of this thread, hmm 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read online (so not sure how valid) that gel nails aren't damaging to the nail - it is the REMOVAL process that can damage your nails.  If removed properly without scraping the top layer of your nail off, gel in itself isn't damaging.

How are the SNS nails removed?  I read that removal of SNS is the same process as the gels - soaked in acetone and then scraped or peeled off, no?

(edited to say that I do not use UV on my gel nails - I use and LED light so that I have no skin damage concerns)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mrsq2022 and @FUTURE  First, Msshopper, my source is Doug Schoon, who is an internationally recognized nail expert. His knowledge level and concern for safety is amazing. So, yes, most damage is due to the techniques used. But it's not just removal. Improper preparation, applicaiton, curing and mantenance also cause.  Unfortunately, LED is not a form of light. It is a type of lamp and the ones you're talking abiout DO emit UV energy (or they wouldn't be able to cure UV gels.This brochure that Doug was involved in creating explains it better.

FUTURE, Doug was asked about SNS on his FB page a while back. He never ties his answer to a specific brand. Rather he provides info in a manner that applies to any similar situation. Anyway, I'll share this quote here: "I will say that it is unsanitary to dip multiple clients’ nails into the same powder and I’d recommend avoiding salons that perform these unsanitary services since this can spread nail and skin infections." He went on to discuss some of the misleading and inaccurate statements used in marketing.

Respected Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Mrsq2022 and @FUTURE  First, Msshopper, my source is Doug Schoon, who is an internationally recognized nail expert. His knowledge level and concern for safety is amazing. So, yes, most damage is due to the techniques used. But it's not just removal. Improper preparation, applicaiton, curing and mantenance also cause.  Unfortunately, LED is not a form of light. It is a type of lamp and the ones you're talking abiout DO emit UV energy (or they wouldn't be able to cure UV gels.This brochure that Doug was involved in creating explains it better.

FUTURE, Doug was asked about SNS on his FB page a while back. He never ties his answer to a specific brand. Rather he provides info in a manner that applies to any similar situation. Anyway, I'll share this quote here: "I will say that it is unsanitary to dip multiple clients’ nails into the same powder and I’d recommend avoiding salons that perform these unsanitary services since this can spread nail and skin infections." He went on to discuss some of the misleading and inaccurate statements used in marketing.

Thank you for your input!! I appreciate it! 

Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Day1128
It is a "powder dip" manicure, your nails are filed and buffed, and in my case filled. Then an adhesive is put on your nails, they are then dipped in a powder which is the color, this process is repeated once more, then the color is sealed. When you walk out of the salon your nails are dry and perfect

@Day1128 wrote:

What is the SNS manicure?

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@FUTURE You're more than welcome! I got into the indie nail polish world after I retired, then into nail care due to a very loosely related issue (at least as far as gel manicures go). I'm just geeky enought that I find the scientific part interesting.