Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

On 10/21/2014 coopersmom13 said:

Good luck in advance! I had a tooth implant over a year ago and I was a little freaked out at first. The toughest part for me was extracting the tooth. Mine was the very last tooth in the back so it was a bit hard to get at.

They then put the post in and it had to 'grow' into the bone before they were able to put in the implant in. It was as simple as getting a typical crown, just make sure you keep the area clean while it's healing up and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

yes, excellent point- VERY important to keep that area clean while healing. DR. should give you an Rx you rinse with or use on that area.

Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a dental implant....I am going to a dentist for a consult for one...

More thanks....so glad I posted this.

Frequent Contributor

First let me say that going to the dentist is my least favorite thing. I have had several implants done, one in process now. The worse part for me was having the root taken out, just the thought of it! The rest of it is no worse then getting a crown put on. It just takes time for the bone graft to heal and then for your bone to heal around the rod to make a secure seal/foundation for your implant. All good and well worth the time and money for me. The first time is always full of unknowns and anxiety...just think of it as this you can and will do something about it, all good.

Trusted Contributor

I have two implants that were done about 10 years ago. I had had a bridge before and got tired of it. As others have said, it is a long process as the spot has to heal before a crown can be put on. And it is expensive because most dental insurance doesn't cover them (at least at that time). Maybe they do now because the procedure is much more common.

Try to find out if the periodontist has been doing this procedure for a while and has some experience. My periodontist was a general dentist first and then became a periodontist so he had a real understanding of the total picture.

I would say that if you go to a good periodontist, you will never regret it.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

DH just finished 2 yr implant/bridge process. It took 2 yrs (bone grafts, sinus lifts, 8 implants plus a bridge) 25 k and was worth it. His smile is beautiful! Fortunately my teeth are great so I don't think we'll have to go through this again.
Trusted Contributor

My bottom front implant was finished last week. It took a long time between the root removal and the final. It looks very natural but the implant is thicker than my real teeth in the back of the implant where my tongue hits, not a big deal. I did NOT have hardly any pain, even from the stitches, maybe because I use Sensodyne Paste and ACT mouthwash. No pain killers afterwards. The root removal was "real" surgery in a small operating room at the dental clinic, University of Pacific. It took many months for the whole process.. Maybe more than 6. Best wishes...
Trusted Contributor

I worked for a periodontist and we did implants all the time. No worse then having an extraction. We did one on the asst. and she still has hers,mine sadly failed but i have healing issues due to lupus. However right after my procedure I was able to go up to the desk and work and just held ice on my face. Health can affect healing,diabetic,smoker etc. My boss always had the patients start taking Vit C 500 mgs 3 times a day a week or so in advance to help healing.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Regular Contributor

i have been recommended to have implants also -- but am in my 80s and doubt it would work. also years ago i was told I was not a good candidate.

My question is if I do go for the implants -- I only have 5 teeth and two roots on the bottom at present -- can no longer wear my partial -- what happens when you have to wait months between the extraction and the new bridge. do they expect you to live on a liquid diet or is something temporary provided

Honored Contributor

I live in California and most dentist don't do implants. They can make the teeth that go on the implant, but a special Doctor does the surgery. It runs about 3500 a tooth or so. They remove the tooth, and put the skr ew thing in to the jawbone that day. You are sedated with vertex or something. They let that heal for a few months (depends on your healing) then the tooth is put in.

If you have damaged bone, then they do the cadaver bone transplant. If you have that, you have to wait until the cadaver bone adheres to the bone. Usually if you have to have this done, it is because you have lost (or are loosing teeth) due to disease, and the bone around your tooth is bad.

I have reabsorption in a tooth in the back. My old dentist put a crown over it, not detecting it when it was small. My new dentist sent me to this periodontist who does implants and nothing else. He said I could do it now or wait. Eventually the tooth will just fall out. Deep sigh here. I have some knee and spine issues , so I have to wait.

Regular Contributor

On 10/21/2014 patbz said: DH just finished 2 yr implant/bridge process. It took 2 yrs (bone grafts, sinus lifts, 8 implants plus a bridge) 25 k and was worth it. His smile is beautiful! Fortunately my teeth are great so I don't think we'll have to go through this again.
I'm having a stroke reading this. I dream of someday doing this, but the price is outrageous. Nothing like having your own teeth! Is it cheaper to get them in the back of your mouth? Are front teeth more expensive? Tia.