Respected Contributor

Re: Hair issues : Suggestions / help needed.

@SouthernBee wrote:

@151949:  I can relate to what you are saying. My hair has some color and a lot of ugly grey. I have shoulder lenghth hair . DH said no hair cut. Spouse insist that I do something because he is tired of me looking old and bad. I purchased a straight wig and a curly wig. I feel uncomfortable wearing them. They have adjustable tabs but still do not fit that great. Wore wig to a ladies meeting and one lady said: " your hair moves up and down on top". Very embrassed and left. I have not worn wig again or going to any meetings.

____

Your oncologist's office undoubtedly can refer you to some good sources of wigs/extensions.  Look into getting a custom-made wig.  You could also bring them to your hairdresser and have them cut to your head.

Six years ago I had a rather ugly attack of alopecia areata with a bunch of bald spots that sprang up on my head within days.  I spoke with a woman who said she could make me a wig that would stay on even on the roller coaster.  That's how she described it.  Within a few months they'd all grown back, but I would have taken her up on that if they hadn't.  Luckily, that was the only bad attack I've ever had.  It was truly horrible.

Honored Contributor

@Trix: Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. I only was my hair: no blow drying or other tools. I really would like to have about three inches cut off. Then as you suggested try special products. Would love to wash and natural dry then use special products to just style using hands to fluff and shape or just shake head and go. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Ms X,

I have had bouts of AA. too. Can I ask you if you have any autoimmune diseases? I do. I have scleroderma and my hair loss is possibly related to that.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Ms X,

I have had bouts of AA. too. Can I ask you if you have any autoimmune diseases? I do. I have scleroderma and my hair loss is possibly related to that.

I have no autoimmune diseases.  I've been told by doctors over the years that it's due to stress.  Now they say it's autoimmune.  I'm not sure whether they have any evidence of this new theory.  There was absolutely no evidence that stress caused it, but they'd tell people anyway.  I'd tell them it wasn't caused by stress, but, of course, they didn't believe me. 

My first appointment with a dermatologist was aggravating.  He told me it was alopecia areata (latin for bald spot?) and gave me a steroid liquid to put on it.  It was clear to me that they had no idea what caused it and no way to fix it.  I've been lucky that I've only had one bad attack.  All the rest have been a single bald spot, usually not much bigger than a quarter, that was easy to hide.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X,

I'm 61 and for over 35 years I have been told so many different stories from docs and other professionals about my hair loss problem. After a while, I just got tired of hearing it and getting treatments that did not work. I decided to take control of my problem on my own. My best results have been from the lasers.Woman Happy 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@151949:  I can relate to what you are saying. My hair has some color and a lot of ugly grey. I have shoulder lenghth hair . DH said no hair cut. Spouse insist that I do something because he is tired of me looking old and bad. I purchased a straight wig and a curly wig. I feel uncomfortable wearing them. They have adjustable tabs but still do not fit that great. Wore wig to a ladies meeting and one lady said: " your hair moves up and down on top". Very embrassed and left. I have not worn wig again or going to any meetings.

First of all your husband is being an insensitive jerk!!!!! If I were you I would tell him exactly that!!!! I  remember what it was like for me as I was still young (34) and I was only married a year, so getting my skin & hair back to normal was paramount for me. I have to say ever since my BC treatments my skin has never been as nice as it once was, but is back to being OK enough that I can go without MU if I want to. Now back to you and your hair - I can't relate to your thin patch as I never experienced that. My hair came in nice and even, now at age 67 my hair is thinner on the sides than on the top & back and I recently went to a styist who advised me to let her cut the sides out around my ears.I was frustrated with the way the sides would not stay the way I had styled them and the one side was always sorta kinky. Getting the sides cut was the greatest thing - looks very nice. My advice to you is to go and speak to a stylist and ask her advice about what you can / should do then do as she advises. If your DH doesn't like it - HE'LL GET OVER IT ! And actually, if you come home looking pretty and feeling better about yourself he may like the change in you. Incidently - i was told by a stylist that layering makes thin hair look even thinner.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Ms X,

I'm 61 and for over 35 years I have been told so many different stories from docs and other professionals about my hair loss problem. After a while, I just got tired of hearing it and getting treatments that did not work. I decided to take control of my problem on my own. My best results have been from the lasers.Woman Happy 

I haven't heard of lasers for bald spots.  I thought they destroyed hair follicles.  The only time I really had a problem, I was told I could have injections into my scalp if it didn't grow back.  My bald spots generally grow back in three to five months.  The bad attack started in late May six years ago and by the end of August/September the spots were all grown in.

For me, they seem to need time to fix themselves, and nothing else really helps, though I've put the steroid liquid on it and the minoxidil.  Has that not been your experience?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee: Funny that you mentioned the comb and helmet thing. Before my hair issues: DH is bald on top and he tried to get me to purchase them. He has tried everything. I read the reviews on the products and they were very mixed. He will be 61 in September and will consider them for his gifts. I no longer see the cancer doctor. I have asked my primary care doctor about other products and he laughs at me. I no longer have thick lashes just little pieces. One brow is very thin. Only have 1/2 brow on other side. I do not wear make up. I purchased a brow liner from Vermont Country Store. It is expensive but works and looks natural. Rude people would comment about the 1/2: brow: I replied it goes with the one boob , but  Praise God: I am alive and I limp but can walk with cane. I was a premature baby with Cerebral palsy but truly Blessed. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

Oh @SouthernBee, God bless you!Woman Happy You sound like such a nice person. You have gone through a lot and you have a great attitude. 

Just so you don't feel alone...I lost one of my brows, too! It was years ago and has grown back since. But I had to paint my brow back on my face. I couldn't let anyone see me that way...LOL!Woman LOL My derm was shocked how good of an artist I was..LOL!Woman LOL He was in disbelief when I told him my brow was faked. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Ms X,

I haven't heard of lasers for bald spots.  I thought they destroyed hair follicles.  The only time I really had a problem, I was told I could have injections into my scalp if it didn't grow back.  My bald spots generally grow back in three to five months.  The bad attack started in late May six years ago and by the end of August/September the spots were all grown in.

For me, they seem to need time to fix themselves, and nothing else really helps, though I've put the steroid liquid on it and the minoxidil.  Has that not been your experience?

@Ms X,

My AA has not been bothering me since my hair grew back from a completely bald head. Since then my hair has never been "normal"...it's thinner than it used to be before all this AA and balding started. Treatments with Minoxidil and needles to the scalp with lactic acid or steroids never worked for me. I'v been using the lasers for around three years(?). I truly believe I would be bald if I don't use them.