Honored Contributor

Re: Hair issues : Suggestions / help needed.

@151949:  Please forgive me: I did not intend to speak about DH.My husband is very kind and supportive. He is dealing with memory issues and confusion, fibro , all over pain and retired military.  We have had a very difficult last two years.  We depend on friends to drive our car because the doctor  has restricted us  from driving.His preference is longer hair, but we agreed and had 8 inches cut off last year. He liked the wigs but said they looked fake and I agreed. I am exploring other options without spending a lot of money and making things easier for me. I am still struggling with strength and energy problems. I appreciate your suggestions. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  That's great that you've found something that works.  I agree that the doctors don't really have much to offer.  It must be comforting to have that laser to use.  I know how it feels to be in the middle of a bad attack and not know how bad it will get.  Unfortunately, during the bad attack the biggest bald spot was right on the top of my head.  I'd put mascara on it to make it blend in with my hair, but it was horrible.  I was afraid it wouldn't grow back.  That was the worst part.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X,

My bald spots were always on the top-center-front part of my head! You couldn't ask for a more perfect area to display hair loss. arrrg! I know...it's horrible. Always wondering if they'll grow back. To this day I have nightmares of going bald again. 

I keep a stash of Joan Rivers Great Hair Day fill-in powder.  I use it after every shampoo, but very sparingly compared to what I was using before I got my lasers. This stuff is a godsend...better than mascara!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Ms X,

I have had bouts of AA. too. Can I ask you if you have any autoimmune diseases? I do. I have scleroderma and my hair loss is possibly related to that.

SilleeMee, I have autoimmune diseases, and yes, sometimes hair loss and fragility is due to the illness, and sometimes it's the meds.  We all may have varying reactions to steroids and anti-biotics, etc., so what causes mine may not be the case for another. That said in my effort to be the healthiest I can, inside and out, is the reason I no longer use chemical hair straighteners or hair color.  

I'd also like to state that I wear wigs for hairstyle and color changes. No wig is ready to wear right out of the box.   I strongly urge taking any wig you buy-- regardless of what the hair fiber is or the price--  into your hairdresser and have it styled on your head.  That really helps shape the cut to your face.  I am very comfortable wearing a wig, and to me that's part of the battle of making a wig look natural too.  

Contributor

Southern Bee....so very sorry about your cancer struggles. 

Please reconsider coloring and perming your hair.  The chemicals can't be good for you and I am sure your health is your first consideration.  I wonder if a shorter, sassy cut might help and keep DH happy?  I recently tried Boost and Blend, a fiber hair thickener.  It is similar to Toppik but better, IMO.  It is made of cotton fibers and doesn't irritate the scalp the way Toppik can.  It really sticks until it is washed out and it helps my confidence a lot.

RE:  wigs.  It sounds as if you got the wrong size.  If you would consider another wig, (tough for a cancer patient, I know) please go to a wig salon, have your head measured and try a few styles on.  If you find one you like, have it professionally styled.  The right size and pro styling will make ALL the difference in the way a wig looks.

Best wishes to you.

Respected Contributor

Hmmm...you allow your DH to tell you what you can do with your hair. I would have a few words for him. Yet he insists you do something about it. Not sure I would call him a DH.

Contributor

I know my problem was not from cancer, but I lost quite a bit of hair from a bad case of pneumonia.  My doctor had me use Rogaine for women for a few months.  I am still thin in a couple of places in the front, but I was thin there before the pneumonia.  Otherwise, my hair is back to normal (my normal).

Contributor

What a mean thing to say to you. I don't know how some people put their head on the pillow on night.  Lots of positive white light to you.

Honored Contributor

@new job : Thank you!!! SouthernBee

Honored Contributor

I appreciate  the suggestions  and help. Placed order for organic shampoo/ conditioner and masque with edd: Monday. Next appointment with doctor options dealing with thin hair. Have a Blessed weekend, SouthernBee