Honored Contributor

Hair care tips from Chaz and other stylists

I was looking through some old posts yesterday and someone (apologies, because I don't remember who) mentioned an article in Naturally Curly called 5 No-Frizz Tips for Rainy Spring Days that had a lot of great hair care suggestions and information:http://bit.ly/13xYrwm. Chaz was one of the hair stylists interviewed.

This morning, I tried out some of the suggestions when I cleansed my hair and the results were positive. As Chaz suggests, I did my final rinse with cold water which is supposed to close the cuticle. Then I added my CC/SC leave-in into soaking wet hair (before towel drying it). I scrunched the mix into my hair to help the formula get into my cuticle and help keep it moisturized.

The new step I added was to wait until my hair was more or less surface dry before I did a blow dry on the cold setting. This allows the cuticle to dry in a closed position before diffusing it.

I have thin, fine hair that is challenged for body/volume and, even with Wen, is a bit on the frizzy side. So I'm always looking for any slight advantage that will improve my hair's appearance. While waiting for my hair to surface dry lessened the overall volume, it did create a more polished and less frizzy overall appearance which I was quite pleased with.

If you've got a mane of hair then it may take too much time to let your hair surface dry. But then again, volume is probably not a huge issue for you. In contrast, if you've got thin/fine hair, then letting your hair surface dry probably won't take too long, so it may be worth a try.

Below is some of the key information, but there's a lot more in the article:

--

Chaz Dean... suggests using a product with essential oils as a leave-in treatment for unruly tresses. His product line includes cleansing conditioners, styling cremes and texture balm (all containing plant and fruit extracts), as well as three bath, body and hair oils: tea tree (especially for sensitive, dry or flaky scalps), fig and sweet almond mint.

“It’s cold-pressed oil that helps penetrate into the hair to where it’s not greasy,” Dean says. “The oils are used directly on the scalp as a treatment and to help stimulate healthy hair growth, especially in the months we’re approaching.”

Ethan Shaw, a stylist at Anne Kelso Salon in Austin, TX, suggests carrying a spray bottle with an essential oil as a time-saving tool to prevent frizzy hair and perk up droopy curls on the second or third day.

“I like tea tree oil, and you can mix it with water," Shaw says. "The oil is light enough that it’s not going to make your hair feel oily, and just heavy enough to give you a little more control than just water would."

You can create your own product by filling an 8-ounce spray bottle with water and half an ounce of tea tree oil.

"It’s great when you’re on the go," he says. "And if you’re really trying to fight the humidity, for some types of curly hair, that’s going to give a firmer hold.”

Aside from moisture-sealing products, stylists say the actual process of styling the hair is critical, especially during the most soggy months.“When your hair is wet, the open cuticles are filled with water, so it never looks frizzy,” Torch says. “Make sure you distribute the product everywhere—from roots to ends. And it’s important that you don’t start drying when the hair is soaking wet. Allow the cuticle to dry in a closed position before diffusing it. Once it’s surface dry, then you can apply a little bit of movement to soften the look. It’s about a 10-minute wait, and that’s the critical step that separates failure from success, especially on humid days.”

--