Regular Contributor

Hi, all. My mom has short wiry white hair.  She is 85 yo and her hair has always been unmanageble. Rollers do not help at all.  She has dementia so can't use hot tools.  Do you think a perm would help? I don't know anything about perms. Any advice is appreciated. . 

Respected Contributor

I haven't heard of anyone getting a perm for many years, maybe for the older crowd?   Maybe ask your hairdresser, provide a picture?  Back in the day when perms were popular I was always disappointed!

Honored Contributor

How about a very short wash ' n go haircut?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've been getting perms for years specifically because I don't want to have to spend time styling my hair EVERY day which I would need to do if I didn't have a perm.  The secret is in finding a hairdresser that knows how to give perms.  I had some very disappointing perms when I was younger because hairdressers didn't understand my hair.  They left the solution on too long because I had long hair and they didn't realize that it takes perms easily.  My current hairdresser uses large rods and checks me at the minimum amount of time and it's always ready.  

I have people I've known for years who thought my hair was naturally curly although I've never hidden the fact that I get perms.  

I don't like a short cut on me, and even then it would never be just a  wash n go style.  It would still require some work.  

Honored Contributor

Would your mom be able to sit still and manage a perm and if she has pretty short hair, this may not be an option.  Maybe get her a type of pixie cut instead.  Something which is just wash and requires no real styling other than combing or brushing and a bit of spray on conditioner.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

I haven't heard of anyone getting a perm for many years, maybe for the older crowd?   Maybe ask your hairdresser, provide a picture?  Back in the day when perms were popular I was always disappointed!

Lol, I can remember my grandmother and many other people getting those short little perms in the 80s.  
The other day, my mom said frustrated and jokingly to the hairdresser, "It looks like I'm gonna have to let my hair go grey and get one of those short little Afros like all the old women used to get."  😂

I had long hair with a perm in the 80s too.  I thought it looked great!😃

Honored Contributor

Don't put your mom through a perm, color or anything other than a simple haircut.

Given dementia and its effects, I'd never put my mom through anything that could sting or take much time.

Use a bit of gel and let it go. She doesn't need rollers, curling irons, etc etc. 

I'll bet she looks great just as she is.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom must have been your mom's twin!  In the end a simple pixie type cut that could air dry was the simplest.  Shampooing was a task, easy care was best.  If it was short the light socket effect was not so apparent 😢

Honored Contributor

I use Kendra Styling Lotion that is actually a leave in, non greasy hair control.  Remember "Brill Cream"-a little dab will do ya!  At Ulta.

Smoothing Blowout Lotion 14

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

Lol, I can remember my grandmother and many other people getting those short little perms in the 80s.  
The other day, my mom said frustrated and jokingly to the hairdresser, "It looks like I'm gonna have to let my hair go grey and get one of those short little Afros like all the old women used to get."  😂

I had long hair with a perm in the 80s too.  I thought it looked great!😃

I had one perm I loved, the hair dresser knew what she was doing, she styled it beautifully after also.  It was called a spiral perm back then.