Honored Contributor

Hair Color questions... please help me answer questions

[ Edited ]

Having hair color issues here... my hair turned from managable blonde (hair highlights) to a change in texture from silky to frizzy within a matter of months... I have pictures from Jan 2014 that shows it! and I suspect the hair color product my stylist uses has changed.

My stylist swears that she did not change products. But I wonder, did "they" take some type of ingredient off the market?

However, 

1) Hair feels "coated" for weeks after getting my hair colored

2) My scalp itches for weeks afterward

3) Frizzy, thinner and not manageable at all.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here?

My stylist claims that this is because my hair is "going gray."  Well, I am finding this hard to understand because of the change within 6 months time?  TIA for your help.

short gray hair colored.jpg

First picture is the color it starts out; second is the color and texture after color washes out.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Re: Hair Color questions... please help

[ Edited ]

How frustrating! "They" change ingredients often (usually not for the better). You may be allergic to a particular ingredient or chemicals in your hair color.

For years, I've been using "Naturcolor" (NOT Naturtint) brand of hair color- sold in health stores such as Whole Foods & others. It's very gentle, the color lasts, & it's multi-dimensional color.

I do my own color. I wash my hair, wait 24 hours + to color & LOVE the results. I have a very sensitive scalp, so I avoid chemicals. I wait the 24 hours + to avoid any scalp sensitivities.

I started doing my own color because my hair/scalp wouldn't tolerate ANY brand my stylist used. I either had a burning scalp, or my hair would be damaged. With Naturcolor my hair is always healthy.

It sounds like your hair color brand damages the structure of your hair, breaking it down & causing the issues you're experiencing.

Honored Contributor

@spot555

Thank you so much for the suggestion!

I have an appointment on Wednesday, so I am preparing my questions to ask her about the coloring process.  This will be a good appointment to ask since it is for a cut only.

If I have to... I will color it myself and will look into this 

"Naturcolor"  

So happy for you that you have found something that your hair and scalp can tolerate.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Regular Contributor

Re: Hair Color questions... please help me answer questions

I am so glad you posted this question lovestoteach. I've been wondering the same thing. I have a pic of my hair from less than a year ago & it's nothing like my hair today. On top of that, every haircolor I try (including the one I've used for years), immediately makes my scalp itch and burn & my already thin, fine hair is thinner!  Not good! 

I think you're onto something here. I have no idea what may have changed but would love to hear from others. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the recommendation! We have numerous health food stores in my area so I will hunt this down! 

I use to be a hairdresser & have colored my own hair for years but something is definitely going on. 

Respected Contributor

gray hair does change the texture of your hair, but color i'm not sure.  are you using a color fast shampoo?  i would imagine so.  also gray does not hold the color as well either.  you could possibly try deep conditioning and see if that makes any difference and not shampoo as often.  i'm sorry you're going through this.  our hair is so important to our looks.

Respected Contributor

I also had VERY BAD reactions, and complete change in color, and texture.  I went from silky, but very fine hair, to cotton candy , no body, wooly hair.  The other thing, worse than anything, was I began to have orange streaks on the bottom 4 inches, or so.  Not nice on platinum beige hair.  

Shortly after a color, my hair took on a yellow cast...sooo, I looked like a candy corn...white, yellow and orange...wooly hair.

Long story short, I'll tell you, after many, many attempts, I found a hair stylist that got it all out with a certain clarifier, and heated dryer.  Not those color removers, which are really hard on the hair.  He also suggested, I eliminate my water source!!   WHAT!!    So yes, I use bottled water, and wash in the sink.  I have those 6 gallon water coolers, so I fill a couple gallons, and break my neck hanging over the sink.  But I'm getting it down, simpler, and filling a squirt bottle.   NO MORE orange, yellow frizzy hair!

Now the other thing he did was give me a full head of foils (lowlites) on my natural whitish/platinum hair...then followed with a sheer Glaze.   Let me tell you, my hair is sleek as glass, silky, shiny, and sooo managable.  He also gave me Pureology volumizing shampoo, with a different conditioner , also Pureology (has a minty scent).  Nice on the itchy scalp.     So in my case, it's the water here.  Now, I live here for ten years, and this just started about 8-9 months ago.  Have no idea why. 

I also had scalp rashes, and insane itchiness, so like you many developers burn.  So foils are better.   Some stylists put a packet of Sweet n low into the color solution to help stop the burning/itchiness.    But I have used Sally's Age Beautiful line, and that worked fine.   Bottom line, I suggest you try better and richer shampoos/cond.  Maybe try the Age Beautiful line color .   Also, many salons will wash your hair for about $5 bucks, in case you would consider giving that try for a few times, and see what happens.  I have.  It's just worth having really pretty, healthy looking hair

again.  Honestly...I didn't realize how upset I was about my hair until I saw how HAPPY, and elated I am with my hair now!   Don't give up...find what works!

Respected Contributor

I decided to go temp color the kind that lasts up to 28 shampoos.  perm hair color fades a ton after 30 washes so might as well go temp  which is better on your hair

Super Contributor

@LTT1 Could your hairdresser be using a lighter blonde shade now than she was before? (Same product, different color) or is she leaving it on longer or adding heat? All of the above could cause more damage to the hair.

When I started going gray, my hairdresser started leaving the color on longer and sitting me under the dryer to lift the color. Major scalp irritation and frizzy hair!

Super Contributor

@Dazlin I have a water filter shower head. It removes metals and minerals from the water, much easier and cheaper than shampooing with bottled water.  It has made a tremendous difference in my hair and skin! There are many different brands available, starting at around $30. I started with a Sprite and now have an Aquasana.