Respected Contributor

Re: Had my gel polish soaked off today

@Natureluvr wrote:
@fairydogmother- I got gel nails done a few times but then stopped since I became concerned about a few things:
UV exposure during the curing process-
(Derm recommended using spf or fingerless gloves)
The acetone soaking to remove
The damage caused to my nails even after only a few applications
One other thing the derm suggested is to leave nails completely bare for a couple weeks after removal, but using a good hand cream and cuticle oil

yes! To everything you said. That UV exposure is no joke

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

here is what I have on my nails now. The Londontown Kur polish stays on well, I only use this brand of top coat and it's good! No chipping 

C504CB5B-63CE-49BE-8A98-DB3E48664A9D.jpegFF74809D-E8CF-4CE0-A1C4-2C954E1E657C.jpeg

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

Spoiler
Definetly a 1st world problemSmiley Frustrated
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother What is the color of the kur?  It very pretty!  Just my style.  My nails are short and that would be perfect! Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@Auntie CC wrote:
Spoiler
Definetly a 1st world problemSmiley Frustrated

I never said this was a major life issue did I. Lighten up. It's a beauty forum 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Franklinbell wrote:

@fairydogmother What is the color of the kur?  It very pretty!  Just my style.  My nails are short and that would be perfect! Thank you!

It's called Bare. It came in a four-pack kit, four different very light neutrals

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I used to do gel and I could peel them off at home if I didn't have time to go to the salon.  The mistake I made was agreeing to the "dipped" choice that I was talked into once.  I was told it lasted at least a week longer. Omg. Never again.  I had to return to the salon and let them drill it off. My nails took about 5 months to get healthy again.  Since then, I just do my own with regular polish. 

Honored Contributor

My salon uses polis remover on cotton cover by foil to remover the gel polish the only time they use a dremel is on fake nails 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I loved the powder and glue method, it did well for me. She just filled me in, no drimel.

When I retired I let it grow out and filed a lot.

@ECBG that sounds like Acrylics which is what I wore for years.  Went in once a month to fill in the grow-out.  In fact, you can get the powder and liquid at Sally's.  I got pretty good at doing my own until I just got tired of doing it.  I just let it grow out and filed to keep it smooth.  Nails were fine afterwards.  Not so with the gel nails.  I thought I had ruined my nails with that.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I loved the powder and glue method, it did well for me. She just filled me in, no drimel.

@ECBG that sounds like Acrylics which is what I wore for years.  Went in once a month to fill in the grow-out.  In fact, you can get the powder and liquid at Sally's.  I got pretty good at doing my own until I just got tired of doing it.  I just let it grow out and filed to keep it smooth.  Nails were fine afterwards.  Not so with the gel nails.  I thought I had ruined my nails with that.  

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess 

It may very well have been acrylics. The only other and first type I had, she brushed on a pre-made gel.  They were extremely painful if one cracked!  I almost had to go through Christmas with that pain!!!!  I found a shop to fix it.  She told me because of the high odor in that shop they weren't clean.