Super Contributor

Re: Had a derm appointment yesterday

@bmorechick

That is exactly what my dermatologist...has said 👏

Melanoma, I go for my yearly check up...

Moisturizer and sunscreen...are a womens best friend...per my dermatologist

He also tells me about applying it 30 minutes before sun exposure..reapply as needed !

Another tip he gave me .. water should be fine first ingredient...no dyes ...etc ...I do have sensitive skin

Just thought ,I would share my experience....with all you beauties 😘
Frequent Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Natureluvr wrote:
@Tem77- Not trying to disagree with you but it is my understanding that Tretinoin is the preferred retinoid for photoaging. I’m curious to hear others opinions on this since I have limited knowledge of the mechanisms of each retinoid. Hoping @SilleeMee will weigh in.

Tret and taz both work the same except taz does it faster with more side-effects plus the cost is double that of tret. 

Tazartene is a psoriasis drug but it is an off-label treatment for anti-aging whereas tret is specifically prescribed for anti-aging.

Tazarotene is NOT an off label treatment for anti-aging. It is the nextr generation retinoid, tretinoin being first.  Its also photo-stable so it can be used in the am, though not rec.   There are medications like Avage that is the tazarotene equivelant to Renova or tretinoin emolient.  The products are marketed for anrti-aging not acne due to the moisturizing suspensions the active is placed in.  The fact that it was once used as a psoriasis cream clearly articulates how effective tazarotene is regarding cellular turnover.

Tret's original FDA approvale was for acne NOT anti-aging BTW. I live in the Tribecca neighborhood of Manhattan NYC where ALL of the derms here are Harvard and Yale grads.  They all say, if a derm is using a retinoid, they are using tazarotene.  FDA approved for anti-aging and photo-damage corrrection.

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

she does advocate for a double cleanse. She explained to me with so many new chemicals and products on the market she believes a double cleanse is a good idea. Love her!

@Franklinbell  - Sounds like you have a great derm.  I so agree with her that a double cleanse is a good idea.  I need to do a double cleanse to remove all the makeup and suncscreen.  One cleanse wouldn't work for me.

I also think that we all have different needs and know what products work well for our skin.  I won't do without my Retin A, Vit C, and other products.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  Well said my friend!! One thing I like about my derm is she prescribes/recommends what is best for me.  It may not be what works  for someone else. I am always asking about new stuff and she will let me know it is not a good idea for me.  I am so curious about all the procedures and cool products that are available.  One good thing we can all do what works for us!  My hair stylist says... you do you boo!  I laugh anytime I hear her say that!   PS: My derm is s Harvard trained and not on the east coast! HA!