Honored Contributor

Re: Had a derm appointment yesterday

@jlkz wrote:

@bmorechick 

Well Written / Said: down to earth advice from your new and young Dermatologist. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💐

And one who will actually sit down and talk to you. That's rare these days!

Honored Contributor

Finally, someone is telling the truth.  Skin care companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I love your derm's advice. I keep it simple and easy. I use a good combined cleanser and exfoliator. Daily moisturizer and night moisturizer. Retin A at night.

I believe good cleansing is the most important.

Have you all watched Danny Seo from Shop/HQ. He's Korean, and has a serum that he says has a memory and when you use it, your skin remembers your youthful skin and changes to it. I think it was $150. for a small bottle. No way. 

Respected Contributor

I brought home a Boots serum and moisturizer from Thailand. The day cream is 40 spf, standard for that country as they want the lightest skin possible. I can't stand the feel of it on my face   Yuck 

Harmonize the World
Frequent Contributor

Actually tazarotene is the best FDA approved retinoid that corrects photo-damage and wrinkles.  If a dermatologist uses a retinoid, it is definitely tazorotene!

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick - I received similar advice from a dermatologist when I was younger, and my current doctor concurs. I have a very simple routine - have never used AHA, BHA, retinol, etc. 

I wash my face, using rice powder a few times a week. I have worn sunscreen forever. I recently started using Josie Maran's Milk, mostly because I like putting it on! I always take my makeup off at night. 

My mom was known for her good skin. She loved makeup. She cleansed her face with Oil of Olay - the original pink one- until the day she died. She had olive skin and never wore sunscreen. And she was a swimmer in her younger years too! It worked for her! 

I got my dad's fairer skin.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Tem77 - Not trying to disagree with you but it is my understanding that Tretinoin is the preferred retinoid for photoaging. I’m curious to hear others opinions on this since I have limited knowledge of the mechanisms of each retinoid. Hoping @SilleeMee will weigh in.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Natureluvr wrote:
@Tem77- Not trying to disagree with you but it is my understanding that Tretinoin is the preferred retinoid for photoaging. I’m curious to hear others opinions on this since I have limited knowledge of the mechanisms of each retinoid. Hoping @SilleeMee will weigh in.

Tret and taz both work the same except taz does it faster with more side-effects plus the cost is double that of tret. 

Tazartene is a psoriasis drug but it is an off-label treatment for anti-aging whereas tret is specifically prescribed for anti-aging.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adding another POV.  

I think RetinA/Tretinoin is a great product.  I use it faithfully.  But not every skincare product used needs to have the goal or ability of penetration to the deeper layers.  I use some things that intentionally target the surface, for texture, smoothness, hydration, plumping, etc.  

Some of the comments here are really unkind, trying to make people feel dumb for using more than what this particular dermatologist suggested.  

Respected Contributor

My derm and I laugh every year at my checkup that I'm amazed at what she finds! This year it was a mole on my the bottom of my foot! So now foot had to be photographed!  My derm and I discuss my personal skin care plan.  I have asked about many things and she will say no...that's not for you! The only thing she talks about often is sunscreen. 

She is on the news often so I call her my celebrity derm! She always has a ton of samples and coupons in her office. Her esthetician does great facials too.  She is a great physician. One thing I really like about her she encourages questions. I will ask about something I read or heard about and she will answer my questions. I asked her once about something I heard about that she was not familiar with, she said I'll get back to you and she did. She called me back that evening!

she does advocate for a double cleanse. She explained to me with so many new chemicals and products on the market she believes a double cleanse is a good idea. Love her!