Valued Contributor

Re: HELP PLEASE WITH WEN .. MY HAIR IS FRYING ON THE ENDS?

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

I puchased Wen conditioner and I love the way my hair feels. I am not able to use  a blow dryer and brush as I have dexterity problems, so I use a curling iron, with Tourmaline coating .  When I use the curling iron, after I make each curl and I don't do many because I am just too ill, I cannot get the comb through my hair without breaking my hair.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, my scalp seems to have a buildup. I rinse and rinse and rinse? I am guessing that will be what people will recommend but I do.

I have lupus and I am losing my hair and I understand Wen is great for thining hair but I don't need breakage from the product either.

Thank you in advance...

I'm sorry you are ill.  Maybe WEN is not for you, at least not to use as the only product.  It needs to be rinsed property and you need a certain amounts of pumps to clean the hair.  I agree with the suggestion of maybe using it as a conditoner after your shampoo and using a heat protectant.  I know Chaz warns about using curling irons and how bad they are for your hair.  It will fry it.  He says that if it cannot touch your skin it should not touch your hair.  In other words if the iron burns your skin if you touch it, it will burn your hair.  I got rid of mine.  I think that was great advice from Chaz.  Never had another split end since I started using WEN and use his tips on caring for my hair.  It's just common sense.  I just never thought about it until I heard him say it.

Formally NewtoWen
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

Thanks everyone. I called Customer Service and actually got through and they told me it was the curling iron, but why when I use regular shampoo do I NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM? She suggest I try "Six Thirteen" conditioner, I already invested enough in Wen products especially if they are not going to work.

How can I can ahold of Chaz himself? Is that possible?

Thanks again everyone for your kindness. What hair I have, I don't want to lose 

I am not sure if you'd be able to take a hold of Chaz himself - he keeps customer service for these reasons, staffed and ready to answer questions.

But if by any chance he would personally answer your question, he would, among other things, I would not know about, but FOR SURE would tell you not to use hot curling iron, since heat causes damage. especially when heat is applied directly to the hair.

Trusted Contributor

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

I puchased Wen conditioner and I love the way my hair feels. I am not able to use  a blow dryer and brush as I have dexterity problems, so I use a curling iron, with Tourmaline coating .  When I use the curling iron, after I make each curl and I don't do many because I am just too ill, I cannot get the comb through my hair without breaking my hair.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, my scalp seems to have a buildup. I rinse and rinse and rinse? I am guessing that will be what people will recommend but I do.

I have lupus and I am losing my hair and I understand Wen is great for thining hair but I don't need breakage from the product either.

Thank you in advance...

This is NOT a bash on WEN, but I used it for a while and had to stop.  Once I stopped using it my hair went back to normal.  I suggest you buy a clarifying shampoo and stop using Wen.  Problem solved even though the Wenners will beg to differ.

Esteemed Contributor

@Twinkiesnanna - Perhaps you are using styling products that don't have a heat protectant? Or, you have your curling iron set way too high. 

If you don't need to use a curling iron, why not just use your wen/shampoo and the correct styling products and let your hair dry air dry.

Respected Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

Thank you in advance...

This is NOT a bash on WEN, but I used it for a while and had to stop.  Once I stopped using it my hair went back to normal.  I suggest you buy a clarifying shampoo and stop using Wen.  Problem solved even though the Wenners will beg to differ

@nycgrl ~ I agree, use a clarifying shampoo, and maybe a conditioning (leave in) product, rinse well and check out results.  The issue is @Twinkiesnanna is unable to fuss with a lot of different products because her illness prevents her from doing so.  Just keep your routine Twinkiesnanna as simple as possible.  I also stopped using Wen, and had no issues after that.  There are many happy Wen people out there though!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

Thank you in advance...

This is NOT a bash on WEN, but I used it for a while and had to stop.  Once I stopped using it my hair went back to normal.  I suggest you buy a clarifying shampoo and stop using Wen.  Problem solved even though the Wenners will beg to differ

@nycgrl ~ I agree, use a clarifying shampoo, and maybe a conditioning (leave in) product, rinse well and check out results.  The issue is @Twinkiesnanna is unable to fuss with a lot of different products because her illness prevents her from doing so.  Just keep your routine Twinkiesnanna as simple as possible.  I also stopped using Wen, and had no issues after that.  There are many happy Wen people out there though!

HI @AKgirl2, I just wanted to point out that a number of Wenners have replied to @Twinkiesnanna thread, and not one of them has tried to convince her that she should continue using Wen. 

In fact, three of them have suggested that perhaps Wen isn't working for her and that she should try using another product. 

In @Twinkiesnanna's initial post, she was asking for suggestions on ways to make Wen work for her since she had already spend $100 on Wen products. I think folks were just trying go give her the suggestions that she was asking for. 

I've been using Wen successfully for over five years, and no other hair care line has even come close.... so I'm a very happy Wenner. -- If someone wants some suggestions about how to get the best results with Wen, then I'm happy to share my suggestions... and honestly I can't think of anyone in the Wen forum who doesn't feel the same way. Smiley Happy

But I would never try to convince someone to keep using a product that they felt unhappy about. That just doesn't make sense, lol, because I can't think of a single product that works well for everyone. Smiley Wink

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Twinkiesnanna - Perhaps you are using styling products that don't have a heat protectant? Or, you have your curling iron set way too high. 

If you don't need to use a curling iron, why not just use your wen/shampoo and the correct styling products and let your hair dry air dry.

@riley1, I think that's a great idea. Smiley Happy

@Twinkiesnanna, I know that ideally you'd like to have a few curls, but why not try air drying your hair and see how it turns out. 

You might also think about purchasing one of those beach wave products, since your curling iron challenges your dexterity issues. -- I know that the Calista and Wen each have beach wave products, and I'm sure there are a number of other brands that sell them. 

Also, I used to air dry my hair but, these days, I generally blow dry my hair while sitting in from of my portable $20 desk fan. It's simple, really easy, and hands free. Smiley Happy

I've been using Wen for five years but, since I dry my hair in a very low tech way, I don't have any other suggestions for you. -- In the end, it just may be that Wen doesn't work as well for you as other brands do. *s*

Best of luck!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nycgrl wrote:

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

Thank you in advance...

This is NOT a bash on WEN, but I used it for a while and had to stop.  Once I stopped using it my hair went back to normal.  I suggest you buy a clarifying shampoo and stop using Wen.  Problem solved even though the Wenners will beg to differ.

I agree. It didn't work for me either so I left it at that. My scalp is so much better these days. Unfortunately, the OP has spent big bucks on the product and would like to find some way to redeem her financial outflow.  Best of luck!

Respected Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

Thank you in advance...

HI @AKgirl2, I just wanted to point out that a number of Wenners have replied to @Twinkiesnanna thread, and not one of them has tried to convince her that she should continue using Wen. 

In fact, three of them have suggested that perhaps Wen isn't working for her and that she should try using another product. 

In @Twinkiesnanna's initial post, she was asking for suggestions on ways to make Wen work for her since she had already spend $100 on Wen products. I think folks were just trying go give her the suggestions that she was asking for. 

I've been using Wen successfully for over five years, and no other hair care line has even come close.... so I'm a very happy Wenner. -- If someone wants some suggestions about how to get the best results with Wen, then I'm happy to share my suggestions... and honestly I can't think of anyone in the Wen forum who doesn't feel the same way. Smiley Happy

But I would never try to convince someone to keep using a product that they felt unhappy about. That just doesn't make sense, lol, because I can't think of a single product that works well for everyone. Smiley Wink

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@bebe777 ~ I agree, and read the posts...so many nice people trying to help...and so true about what works for one person doesn't always work for another.  Trial and error until you find what works.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

@Twinkiesnanna wrote:

Thank you in advance...

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@bebe777 ~ I agree, and read the posts...so many nice people trying to help...and so true about what works for one person doesn't always work for another.  Trial and error until you find what works.

* bebe777 high fives AKgirl * Smiley Happy

@AKgirl2, I agree. The only thing that matter is for everyone to find the best hair care system for their hair. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy